Wals' Hi-banker Specifications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And guessing that I will still cut out the diagonal squares to make the Z shape?
Also this mesh is about 15mm thick and add to that the filter mat, this won't sit too proud in the sluice compared to the 13mm aluminium pre/post screens?

Still need to cut the z shapes mate, but because the rectangles will be bigger than the bread crate version the proportions will still be close. Just need enough water flow in the stream to run it, or boost flow with a bilge/motor pump.

Cheers Wal,

hey

I picked up a sheet of alloy 2mm 2.4m by 1.2m, the sheet that the alloy shop gave me ended up being anodised. :rolleyes:

Does anybody know if alloy brazing rods will work on anodised alloy ???

thanks

Paul

Hi Wal,

Just want to know what size pump are you running? And where in Canberra is the best place to get one? That is if you got it from here.
I'd like to thank you for your YouTube vids they are great, my young bloke and I watch them for hours in this bad weather we are having lately.

Cheers
Petts

Prospector steve said:
:D Now the pump and hoses. Hope the 33cc packs enough punch with the water ??? will see soon.

ps :Yes its gal.$50.

GDay Steve,
What is the total weight of your finished banker ? as iam going through the web site looking at all the different types made. As iam going to build on myself and not sure as to use gal sheeting or alloy sheeting. Great site a wealth of information.
Regards
Rob

pauly250 said:
hey

I picked up a sheet of alloy 2mm 2.4m by 1.2m, the sheet that the alloy shop gave me ended up being anodised. :rolleyes:

Does anybody know if alloy brazing rods will work on anodised alloy ???

thanks

Paul

i know TIG will burn it off but oxy acetylene i dunno . i never welded ali with oxy before . i know it can be done but you might find it a mongrel thing to play with.

by the time you get oxy and filler rod it would be cheaper , faster and less headache if you take it to a welder who can do it with TIG in 5 - 10 minutes

Wal

You have a safe & fruitful trip to Halls Creek .Hope you find lots .

Pete

Thanks Pete, will keep you all informed once a fortnight whist over there. Good luck if you're having a prospect yourself mate.

Cheers Wal,

Petts said:
Hi Wal,

Just want to know what size pump are you running? And where in Canberra is the best place to get one? That is if you got it from here.
I'd like to thank you for your YouTube vids they are great, my young bloke and I watch them for hours in this bad weather we are having lately.

Cheers
Petts

G'day Petts,

I run a WX15 Honda which i picked from Grahams Building and hardware in Queanbeyan. Any pump will do so long as delivers over 200 LM. ;)

Cheers Wal.

Finally picked up my folded section from the plumbers yesterday.
Now to add the extras
I have seen a number of High Bankers using water spray on three sides to leave the middle open (I suppose for easier access when throwing the shovel full in)....Wal is there any advantage in your placement of the water spray?

regards

Wrighty said:
Prospector steve said:
:D Now the pump and hoses. Hope the 33cc packs enough punch with the water ??? will see soon.

ps :Yes its gal.$50.

GDay Steve,
What is the total weight of your finished banker ? as iam going through the web site looking at all the different types made. As iam going to build on myself and not sure as to use gal sheeting or alloy sheeting. Great site a wealth of information.
Regards
Rob

Hi! Wrighty,not sure on weight it doesn't worry me like it's not too heavy. And looking close to mine I have fabricated banker with pop rivets that's how its made, no welding at all-As for the pump sends out 150lt/min is under wals spec and just works ok. I would suggest get the min spec pump with 200ltr /min its all about water flow .

FWIW ( for what its worth ) , the $ 750 WX15 weighs about 9 kg , the $ 200 chinese pumps of the same horsepower weigh about 18 kg , fuel economy is miles better on the genuine honda WX15 , they are quieter and will last longer.

If you're limited on budget and dont have to carry your pump very far then a chinese one might be okay.

if you plan on walking 5 miles with your gear then saving that weight allows you to carry more fuel or food n water instead

i bought a few chinese made diesel engined air compressors a while back that were supposed to be " a good brand among the chinese ones " , 2 out of three blew up within 8 months or so , dunno where the third one ended up. :/

i bought a WX15 and if i look after it with good oil changes hopefully it will last me 10 years

Hondas are made in China now aswell. I used my wx15 about 6 times before it snapped a crank shaft, this is a rare occurrence, but there qualiy is not as good as it used to be. My Honda eu2.0i gennie has also been playing up lots, it gets a oil change once a month and has been reasonably well looked after but has let me down on numerous occasions. I have only just managed to get it going again after having a jammed exhaust valve this time.
Honda are still better than most of the Chinese crap, but no where near as good as they used to be.
I got a little Subaru pump now which was less than half the price with a five year warranty.

DD

Diggerdude said:
Hondas are made in China now aswell. I used my wx15 about 6 times before it snapped a crank shaft, this is a rare occurrence, but there qualiy is not as good as it used to be. My Honda eu2.0i gennie has also been playing up lots, it gets a oil change once a month and has been reasonably well looked after but has let me down on numerous occasions. I have only just managed to get it going again after having a jammed exhaust valve this time.
Honda are still better than most of the Chinese crap, but no where near as good as they used to be.
I got a little Subaru pump now which was less than half the price with a five year warranty.

DD

I checked mine . it says "made in japan"

but that could still mean parts of it are made in China . dunno . relations are not great between Nippon and China lately

hope mine serves me better

i did read your posts about your subaru but i wanted to keep away from 2 stroke

Hi Wal, thanks for the great design and instruction. I'm also going to try to build one and have sourced most of the materials but am stuck at the aluminium strip between the first piece of catwalk (not the bum end) and the bread crate, and has a sort of h profile. What is it known as? I've learnt a lot from the vids_ thanks Wal n Liz! :)

Thanks Wal,

Funny thing is I have bought plenty from Grahams eg helicopters, bull floats etc. never thought about pumps lol.thanks mate.

Cheers Petts

my Highbanker is pretty much finished except i will add an irrigation filter in the last metre of hose before the spray bars

I made the grizzly section longer than anyone elses i have seen ( 280 mm ) and the boiler box a bit longer too , with spray bars on 4 sides giving everything a really good soak to get any fines and mud washed off it , made the hungry apron 480 mm wide at the top so the shovel doesnt foul on anything when i am tired , and so i dont break the spray bars with any misdirected shovels.

I put 1200 mm of flex hose at the spray bars because layflat hose doesnt like corners and kinks.

The McKirk Foreman sluice underneath it can unclip and be used as a river sluice , or plug a bilge pump onto it for small river work

I am also nearly finished a secondary sluice to clip on the front made to Wal's spec of breadcrate over Ultimat miners moss to catch the micron flecks of gold as found in the shoalhaven.

It is made quite heavy to last a few years but still comes in at a weight that can be backpacked a few miles without wearing me out. not a very good photo sorry . might take another pic in daylight

1374580110_my_hb.jpg

Latest posts