Waders, Wetsuit pants... information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just spotted an other thread about waders on sale which reminds me that I ripped my waders at the Gippy get together.
So my thoughts are, to either get wetsuit pants & booties or to get an other pair of waders.

I'm leaning towards the wetsuit pants... both would get hot in the summer, wetsuit would keep you warmer in the water. Waders can fill with water & then you can't swim. Wetsuit would be a bit more resistant to abrasion.

Anyone had any experience with wetsuit pants whilst panning/sluicing etc.?

I cant complain about my neoprene Chest waders, I wear them every time I go gold hunting in the bush. They are pretty much a wetsuit but you can wear long johns, tracksuit pants or even jeans underneath. Even in 30+ degree heat its not uncomfortable.

Same brand and similar to these http://www.hodgman.com/Hodgman®-Cas...g-Foot/1280242,default,pd.html#sz=16&start=16

Now my undies may get a bit sweaty, but I can walk a whole day without removing them, you can wear any shoes or boots so extremely versatile. I have water boots but they are a bit airy and can get pebbles stuck if you don't lace them up tight. Normal boots very good....I walk over creeks and through them without any concern, and dont have to worry about snakes as they are thick enough to make me feel safe. Being chest high with a pouch I can carry my cigs and phone etc in the pouch. Because they are body hugging a fall in the water wont be dangerous as they cant fill up much with water.

If I ever buy a new pair I can cut them and turn them into hip waders.

Best of all, I can drive in them so no need to get changed moving from spot to spot. Would have to say one of my best buys.

I think a lot of people see me in them and think i've been river fishing, but ive been detecting all day in the bush with these things and not a worry in the world. They are my safety blanket in the bush as I can rub up against any obstacle and not get a scratch!

Peter

in case you want to repair your old waders , the kits for repairing inflatable boats will work

waders keep your feet dry where a wetsuit wont ( leads to wrinkly prune skin phenomenon)

if you use wetsuit pants with gumboots you can still get leaches down your boots

use a wetsuit with neoprene dive boots they would keep out the leaches but then you get sore feet from walking over rocks all day coz dive boots have thin soles

these rock fishing boots might come up high enough past your ankles to keep out leaches when used with a wetsuit and you wont get sore feet , provided you tighten the strap on the boots to make them snug around your ankles

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/19088960...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

one thing i found with waders is they are surprisingly cool when you're in the water but yeah , bit dangerous in flowing water higher than your knees

Stay away from those rubber waders. To hot and easley ripped.
If getting new waders. Either the neoprene or the breathable ones like what I was wearing
Both of which can come with boots attached or a neoprene sock
The breathable one also have a boot cover to stop rocks and sand getting into your boot.
I have both pairs. As the neoprene keeps me warm in winter.
The breathables are strong and very light weight and can be worn all day in summer.

If getting a neoprene sock type there are all sorts of footwear that can be worn with them.
Even boots with changeable soles for grip in different environments
e.g snow, mud and rock.
Prices vary but both will last you along time
Hope this helps with your decision in picking your next pair of waders.

Thanks gents,
XIV, the pants you were wearing got me very interested except the price tag at the moment...
Yeah, I wasn't gointo go the thin rubber ones again + the boots on the Aussie Disposal ones I had shrunk :/
I always dried them in the shed & never got warm/hot.

I have used both neoprene waders and wetsuit long johns, and I think I prefer the wetsuit.

Here in Tassie the water is pretty cold, and some of the creeks I prospect in can be 4-5 degrees C. I have a pair of Probe Professional wetsuit long johns that, while not cheap, are quite comfortable and supple, more so than most average wetsuits. I stay cosy warm in them even in quite cold water. My neoprene waders seem to get rips in them all too often, including somehow on the sole of the boot. Once ripped they're toast unless it's a repairable rip. Whereas water in your wetsuit is no big deal.

I love the fact that, in waders, I can get out of them with dry underwear. Even more, I LOVE not having to get into wet or frozen wetsuits the following morning. However, when I fall over in the creek, which happens at least one or twice in each trip, water gets in. Also I can't reach those really deep holes under waterfall rocks without getting wet. I have even had the thought more than once that if I fell over in deep, fast moving water, such as in Tassie's Ringarooma or Weld rivers, I could drown in waders in no time (just think of the weight of the water dragging you down), whereas in wetsuit pants you're very buoyant.

I think above all it's just what you like at an individual level.

Just to confirm, my neoprene's stay dry, they don't take in water. I can wade thru chest deep water, fossic all day with the detector and the only wet is from sweat over the day. Socks a little damp from sweat but not wrinkly skin! FYI.

They also hug the body so not like rubber waders that fill up if you go in the drink! My concern with wet suit would be heat...I can walk all day in 30 degree + weather and not get overly hot. I'm thinking id boil in a wet suit, but I could be wrong they may be the same material? My waders are perfect for ice cold rivers on stinking hot days....don't seem to feel either hot or cold except putting them on if its a cold morning. Once they are on i'm not trying to rip them off if it gets warm.

Peter

Hey croc I use waders mate cheap ones for summer aussie disposals $65 wpny last long tend to crack in the heel from shovel ware. In winter neoprene from tassy around $160 from memory ebay purchased. Clunky but warm while your at it 5mm diving gloves are a godsend

the green ones from BCF are not very good

the boots are made from plastic not rubber and they are very slippery on wet rocks , plus the soles are thin and rocks push through to give you sore feet

there are better ones around for only 10 - 20 bucks more and they have thick rubber soles

better grip and less of the slippey slidey bruisey bumm phenomenon

keep in mind that if you fall over in a river while wearing waders they fill up with water like a parachute and all of a sudden they can weight 60 kg and drag you under

dunno about you but i cant breathe under water , so be mindful about that when you use them

I also found mine to take on water when I get to an arm's length deep into a crevice or under boulders :p
Got mine from Ray's Outdoors; about 40% off at the time, so I got the son a pair as well...that reminds me; they owe me two filleting knife sets...better give them a call. Wouldn't do without them.

I use the 'snowbee' ones. You can get light ones for summer of lined ones for winter. A bit pricey but they last a while.

I've ordered some cheap diving gloves for us both, $10 ea off fleabay, went for the 3mm to leave some dexterity, but there are so many choices for waders, some are really expensive. gotta keep the missus warm n cosy n comfortable. Have read on some of the fishing forums about the poor comfort level. Thanks for the replies so far. My brother flyfishes, his waders are simms from the us but at close to 600 bucks for waders and wading boots, a bit exy for a few trips during winter.

I use a different kind altogether
I use breathable waders
Light weight
Neoprene sock so you can ware river boots or sneakers
I put on some trackies during winter and just jocks or shorts in summer
The ones I have are just a pant
Have a valcrow straps to pull tight so no belt needed
And no chance of filling with water
Cost was around $300 but that was with my boots.
The boots have changeable soles
I have the rough sole with small metal spikes which help grip to the rocks.
I also use tha felt soles when around ice and snow because ice will stick to ice

For what it,s worth I have a pair of light weight sock foot waders I brought from USA 15yrs ago . I wear neoprene felt sole boots over and anything under ie;trackies are good and warm as XIV said and woollen socks. had these for years and not a pin hole in them , not sure the material but just fold up and store for next time and no probs .they are chest height and I use braces. the waders are RED BALL brand . not sure if you can still get but worth a look online ? AT THE TIME ABOUT $350.00 BUY OVER SIZE to accommodate clothing.

These are the waders I just purchased via ebay, $134 delivered, breathable , lightweight and with non slip boots, I will have to wear trackies underneath for winter though.

1402211337__57.jpg

For what it's worth I just have the Aussie disposal ones, I travel long distance in them and find them good so far (only had them for a few months). They have a drawstring at the top to stop water coming in if you fall over and the boots aren't too bad on the rocks, it's just the really slippery ones I have to worry about. They cost me $40.

Taipan said:
Good idea to grab yourself a good quality repair kit at the same time just in case is murphy about.

yup i tripped over murphy once and tore a hole in mine

inflatable boat repair kits from ebay are $ 15 and do work on most types of waders i have seen so far

Latest posts