Victorian fossil locations?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK so I know we have Yea, Lilydale, Warnambool and east of Wilson's Prom..

Is there anyone who can help with more sites? I can't find much but I'm sure there would be something close to me but I guess its much deeper than anyone can dig.

Today, Lilydale, I found some fossil of shells. Grabbed a few rocks to break open to try and find more.
Also found more chalcedony, smithsonite and some other hidden minerals at the location I found

Top image is a clam type shell, and in the middle of the 2nd photo thrres a small snail shell

1441361515_14413608456021.jpg

1441361584_14413608357140.jpg

I like that top shell impression AR,... almost looks like the Shell Petrol Shell. :)

If you're over towards Warnambool, around 100km away over the border Mt Gambier and the whole region has fossil rich limestone deposits. My dad worked for a local earth moving company when i was younger, and while on the dozer he'd quite often bring home fossils in chunks of limestone. He still has them. Apparently Portland has a few around to. All a part of the limestone coast.

Hey ?
I am just starting off on my prospecting adventure and am also looking for locations in vic. More over near the south east if possible. I am thinking of Gembrook? Beaconsfield? Around those sorta areas. Have you had any luck or have any good spots I could try?
Thanks

Hi all, although its just a lucky 'one off' sorta thing, if it helps, I did once happen upon a fossilized tooth( 2nd or 3rd incisor) after one day feeling a bit lazy i decided id just use the tumbler to wash off a bunch stones found around the ferntreegully belgrave area that were covered(very heavily i might add) with solidified clay/dirt. Im no expert prehistoric animals but if i had to guess id say it belonged to some type of large marsupial or maybe a relative of the dingo?

AtomRat said:

Is there anyone who can help with more sites? I can't find much but I'm sure there would be something close to me but I guess its much deeper than anyone can dig.

All over the place - an abundance. I once quoted The Geology of Victoria (2002 or perhaps 2003) to you (editor Bill ie W Birch) and mentioned it was full of photos and maps. It is a good start. Kinglake, Kilmore (great trilobites), Lakes Entrance, Buchan, Castlemaine, Cheshunt, Cape Liptrap-Waratah Bay - what are you wanting? Where are you near in a general sense?

You realise that there is an entire separate section on this site related to fossils?

hey mate how are you ,, i know heaps of cool spots that will get your fossil fossicking blood running over time :) most the ones i know are in around portland area. if you see this post send me a txt 0474082530 always happy to help a fellow fossil hunter, its taken me over 15 years to find some of these spots and there are a few only about 2 people know about ,, if you don't tell the world you could be the third ,,joking mate ,, they are there for everyone to enjoy i think ,,anyway txt me ..... cheers mark
AtomRat said:

hi mate id love to hear more about where you found that tooth and love to see a pic ,, sounds like Australian megafauna fossils,, very interesting good find :)
Rooster88 said:
Hi all, although its just a lucky 'one off' sorta thing, if it helps, I did once happen upon a fossilized tooth( 2nd or 3rd incisor) after one day feeling a bit lazy i decided id just use the tumbler to wash off a bunch stones found around the ferntreegully belgrave area that were covered(very heavily i might add) with solidified clay/dirt. Im no expert prehistoric animals but if i had to guess id say it belonged to some type of large marsupial or maybe a relative of the dingo?

Latest posts