Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,

Currently staying at the RACV golfields resort in Creswick, real winner as the Missus got two nights for $205 which keeps her happy while I get to play in the forest. Would normally be looking for cheaper and maybe less up market but happy wife happy life and who am I to argue.

Would like to hear from all of you about your experiences with accomodation in the GT. Cabins, on site vans, pubs, motels etc

Bob

Gravity said:
Going out to Lake Eildon's newly opened areas this Saturday with a few friends, any advise Jerusalem creek maybe or tips where to start from would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Hey guys, I was using the search engine and came across this old thread, I can't find any info about it being an open area. As far as I can see it's Nat park and off limits. Is that correct?

Hello All,
Have been using "World of Shiny Stuff". It is updating at present with more fossicking info for open use, extended areas in both Vic, and NSW. It has map or sat. view, a good starting point.
Hope it may be useful
Will add more useful sites when time permits.
Cheers
Diablo

Gravity said:
Going out to Lake Eildon's newly opened areas this Saturday with a few friends, any advise Jerusalem creek maybe or tips where to start from would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Gravity, or anyone else, could you elaborate on that post, I can't find any info about that being an open area.

Occasional_panner said:
Gravity said:

Cheers
Gravity, or anyone else, could you elaborate on that post, I can't find any info about that being an open area.

Hi, :)
As far as I'm aware Eildon is not open to prospect in. :eek:
It has been proposed for some areas to be opened but as of yet it has not been passed through government.

Hi Madhatter, thank's mate, that's all I could find out as well, just wondering if I missed something.
Edit, I was looking for somewhere close'ish to eastern subs to highbank, that would have been great.

O-p,
linked maps are from vic national parks and the 2nd slide , map C shows the prospecting areas about Lake Eldon and Jerusalem Creek.
not sure if these maps are still current, accurate info or of any real use.

As for research , this took me 2 minutes to find on the box of lights, but I have seen it before, as this has been requested before.

All I searched was Eldon gold and "BAMM" , it appeared to the box of lights, screen.

https://www.veac.vic.gov.au/investi...on-into-additional-prospecting-areas-in-parks
any way

happy to help

Regards

Ian ;)

Thanks Ian, those maps are part of a report from the Victorian environmental assessment council. They were just proposed recommendations.

BTW it's good to see old Geoff Kennet is on our side.

Thanks for your efforts though Ian ;)

Gold in Victoria is generaly associated with Lower Palaeozoic rocks. Grains, films, &c., of gold occur native, from microscopic size to large masses, both in matrix (reef gold) and in the gravels, sands, &c. (alluvial gold). Crystalline gold with definite crystal faces ranges from microscopic size at Chiltern, Kamarooka, &c., to crystals an ounce in weight and more at Gaffney Creek, Ballarat, Creswick, &c. Crystalline gold is exceptionally pure. All native gold contains some silver. The average silver-content of gold bought by the Mint is 4 Per cent., but gold from Walhalla contained 15 per cent.; and from St Arnaud, 50 per cent. Gold alloyed with bismuth is known as Maldonite ("smut") at Maldon. It is frequently found in "buck" quartz carrying no other minerals, but more frequently the gangues carries ores of iron, zinc, lead, antimony, copper, bismuth, &c.

Native gold is never mistaken for any other mineral, but some substances are frequently mistaken for gold; for instance, yellow mica, pyrites, especially chalcopyrite (new chum gold) and iridescent films of iron oxide on quartz. Brass from cartridges and residue from camp fires are a frequent source of unnecessary excitement to the new chum when disclosed in the dish. Mica is readily distinguished by its platy character and lighter weight, and the fact that it pulverizes readily. Chalcopyrite and pyrite are both easily crushed, and are non-malleable. Gold is yellow, soft, malleable , very heavy, not affected by acid, and visible no matter in what position the sample is held. A feature of the older leads is "black gold", i.e., gold coated with a thin film of black oxide of manganese. In auriferous shoots in lodes gold is usually disseminated as small particles; in spurs it is frequently shotty; and in indicator veins it forms large lumps, "specimens", or "slugs".

This was not intended as to copy write and all credit should be given to the department of mines, Victoria

PROSPECTORS GUIDE

Does anybody Know whether there is rules in regards to Detecting in and around the Walhalla area. And has anybody actually detected around this region

"The average silver-content of gold bought by the Mint is 4 Per cent., but gold from Walhalla contained 15 per cent.; and from St Arnaud, 50 per cent".

In the weathering zone it is commonly 99.5% or purer gold. The silver gets leached out.

St Arnaud started as a silver mining field because the separated silver deposited in separate fractures and was running at 5 kg/t silver.

A similar thing happened with the copper in the Bethanga mines, giving high-grade copper ore (the richest in Victoria - which is not saying much....)

The bismuth that formed the maldonite at Maldon may be later than the gold - introduced to the veins when adjacent granite intruded the veins.

NJJ said:
Hi,
Me and the wife are planning a trip to Eldorado
Soon and would like to know what is best for that area, Highbanking or Detecting?
Any suggestions of we're to try our luck would be appreciated also..
Thanks guys

Gold is very fine at Eldorado as it has travelled 26 km from Beechworth to get there - associated with tin. Coloured tourmaline is a feature at Eldorado frim memory (fading) in a deep-cut gully from the north. Coming out of the granite (so don't go too far west into the sandstones). Might be confusing it with nearby Clear Ck, Everton. Violet Town is the main other locality for that (rubellite I think)

Hey guys, has anyone heard of the Lost Village in Chewton, Vic. I found it 30 years ago by accident with my trail bike. It is situated on Crown Land somewhere north of Chewton on a remote track, by memory. At the time I did not think about looking for relics although I had a Whites Coinmaster. I went back 5 years later but a boom gate had been placed at the access track and there may have been a warning sign which deterred me from detecting. What was left of the village was stone foundations and ruined stone walls in a grid pattern forming lane ways. Just interested to know if anyone else found it.

Do you mean the 'Welsh Village'?? NE of Quartz Hill Reef, or entry via Welsh ST (dirt Rd which terminates near a slate quarry)...

Found some Gold in there myself... :D

GGA

Latest posts