V8 79 Series Landcruiser Owners

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone here own one so we can talk first hand about it?

I'm having wheel bearing issues with my new one and also had same issues with my old one.
Toyota recommend repacking them every 20,000 but I'm not the first person that doesn't believe that it gets done when in for a service.7

Questions do you do any beach driving? or lots of creek crossings? or swinging 36 inch tyres?

Ive had a 79 dual cab since 2014 and had no dramas with it at all and put over 50k on her, always check after service as doubt the service department do half of what they list on your invoice. Fixed price servicing should never be for a vehicle like the cruiser, just do it right and charge me accordingly.

Many things can effect it ? 20000 ? That's approx. once a year ................... I've done mine twice in a month :rolleyes:
Quality of grease and correct type, water ingress will kill them even if the day after being packed as grease sits on any water if any has got past seals, over adjusted will cause them to over heat, being over greased ............... to much grease packed into hub, non standard off set wheels. As for servicing most times they may pack the outer but then don't do the inner which is the main load supporting bearing doing the majority of the work.
Doing a lot of Fraser Island work for example can give them a hiding as the sand chews out the seals and usually always in water at some stage. Have found sand gives all seals, diff pinion front and rear extension housing seals etc a hard time and is nothing to replace after even one trip. So many factors that can influence their life span make it hard to give a hard n fast rule. In general if you can keep contaminants out of the bearing it will last but once a seal is damaged then either dirt or water ingress will kill the bearing in a very short time.
Generally speaking if I have done any heavy water work will pull inspect and repack as even if vehicle is left sitting the water will cause a rust mark on the race and rollers and will create a rumble in bearing and then literally hammers itself apart. Salt water just makes it even worse.
Basically applies to any bearings and seal applications
Sorry posted after Nightjar had already said :)

There is a bonnet under there, but that's an extreme situation and the water pressure alone can force it's way past even a perfectly good seal given that situation.

1476693419_rainbow_beach_1.jpg

I don't own 1 but if anyone said to me from a dealer or manufacturer, replace wheel bearings every 20k I'd be concerned. With zero modifications I'd expect 100k minimum not 20k.

If it's modified, lift kit , tyres size, rims diameter then you would expect variation of service intervals for things like wheel bearings, uni joints, tail shaft with slip joint etc.

You could investigate bearing manufacturers and see if they have heard of the issue, if so they might have an option to resolve the issue.

You could also contact a vehicle tester such as Paul Gover who will advise Toyotas awareness and position of the issue. If he (Paul Gover) is unaware of it he may offer to talk it through with Toyota, they tend to listen to people like Paul. This would be your best option to find out Toyotas official view. This way you can show the dealer email dialogue and findings if challenged.

Ok some great replies there.

I do around 40,000km a year.
It's a2015 dual cab 79 bought 13 months ago, it's in for its 40,000 now after having the right rear bearing go and destroy the hub along with it.
They told me the left one isn't much different.
No water ingress although I do quite a few creek crossings.
It hasn't done any beach work other than a couple of runs on Shoalhaven river sand at Stewart's Crossing.

It has a 3" lift kit, 285/75/16 tyres on 16x8 steel rims standard offset.

I'd say out of its 40k its done around 10,000 off road.

I've had run ins with Toyota for not doing the things listed in the service manual before so I made it clear at 20,000 I didn't want to pick it up after service and have to come back in the doors with an angry head on.

I do my services in between myself but for $300 fixed price every 20,000 and the fact they should be repacking wheel bearings each 20,000 I just take it in.

Toyota has a bad rep for wheel bearings in the 79's I've got 3 mates with very similar issues.
One failed before 20,000 another at 50,000 and another at 60,000.
That's only the guys I know.

If it wasn't under warranty I'd check it after doing serious water crossings too but I touch a bolt on those hubs and they will void it.

Bring back the old FJ45, simple and no problems that you can't fix yourself out bush. Ever since they started to bring operator comfort into the equation the vehicles (all brands) have suffered reliability problems :mad: . It's about time they went back to basics. We don't all stay in places like Toorak.

Just my thripence worth.

Cheers :)

Doug

Wozza244 said:
If it wasn't under warranty I'd check it after doing serious water crossings too but I touch a bolt on those hubs and they will void it.

Given your scenario and if it was mine I'd be looking at a bent diff housing. ;) Given your mates having a similar problem could be a jigging problem also from the get go.
Bottom line that's bugger all K's for a rear axle bearing and unless it's been slid into a gutter side ways or some thing else that could bruise the bearing then one has to look at other means that can cause early bearing failure :(

2012 V8 78 Troopy with 3" lift here, no drama's yet, just had a 120k major at Bendigo Toyota with bearings packed, but i double checked when i got her home! Dont trust the buggers either.

Interesting issue you raise there Wozza as mine would be 75% bush k's, creek sand but no salt.

I had sleepless nights for the first 100k worrying about water getting to the injectors as i did have a mate trash his in a 76, but he got it sorted $8000 later (insurance wouldnt cover it), so I chucked a 'Waterindiesel' Waterwatch system on her. (Basically a pre-fuel filter with alarm)

I will keep a closer eye on this now since a few you mention seem to have had issues, and thanks to all other members who posted some great advice here on this topic.

;)

Yeah mate first mod I did to it and my last one was a secondary fuel filter/water trap.

They had to order a new hub so apparently it won't be ready till tomorrow arvo now.

All I can hope for is they cover it under warranty because after 40,000 and they assured me it got a repack at 20,000 I don't feel that its something I've caused.

All my older vehicles in the past I've worked on 50,000 bearing checks and repack then replace at about 100,000 give or take if they become a bit loose or not.

Yeah I check my fuel filter every 2 or 3 tanks and pump out any water. I change the filter out every 10000 km regardless of servicing and carry a spare in the vehicle at all times. There is not a injected diesel that likes water in the system. Just check things periodically Youtube is your friend, so many people complain about the air conditioning in the 70 series but have never checked the filter in the glove box which is an easy one to do in the garage at home.

Other than technical stuff like computer related issues in the new CRD I can do anything myself.
The only reason I don't is fear of voiding warranty.

I change my factory filter out every 5,000 and my secondary every 10,000.
Toyota won't change it out and I won't trust them to even if I ask.
I'd be surprised to find a new oil filter in there after they "service" it.

The air con on mine has been garbage from new. The cab filter is fine, fan blows fine, temp coming out of the vents is fine but it fails to keep the cab comfortable on high 30 degree days. Even on flat out.

To throw in my 10cents worth a mate of my used to mark his oil filter before putting his new hilux in for a service, over a couple of years, caught them out twice for not changing it, as for the rest of the service who knows

GREENHORN said:
To throw in my 10cents worth a mate of my used to mark his oil filter before putting his new hilux in for a service, over a couple of years, caught them out twice for not changing it, as for the rest of the service who knows

Not sure I understand that ? If he didn't trust them then why leave car there in the first place ?
:eek:

I love toyotas, owned a couple, use a new hiace for work, the only 3 times its broken down is the day after toyota serviced it, people I work with have similar stories, one engine even blew up the next day because they didnt put oil in it, the list is fairly long of f ups, if it wasn't for warranty, I'd do it myself.

In the mechanical industry there is a thing called 5 why's if you ask why 5 times you may find the answer, what caused the wheel bearing to fail was it lack of lubrication if so why was it heat if so why etc etc
take the old bearings to a bearing placeCBC SKF or send them to the manufacturer and ask them why they think they failed
Or ask the regional service manager if there is a service bulletin on wheel bearings on your model
To repack bearings properly they must be removed washed dried repacked and refitted including washing of hubs etc

No chance of getting the old bearings from Toyota.
No chance of a truthful explanation if they are in the wrong either, they're not silly enough to admit they are in the wrong they'll just take steps to cover it up.
I can direct them to Duncan the owner at Macquarie 4x4 who has seen Toyotas standard of wheel bearing lubriation on numerous occasions.
Some of his customers buy new Toyotas and refuse to take the vehicle back to them for any services. He's happy he gets the business and the customers are happier as they know that all tasks on the service list are carried out in the correct way.
The only problem is he charges accordingly so Toyotas VDJ79 major service (20,000) intervals end up costing around the $1000 mark rather than the capped price I have of $300 for all services minor and major.

Update, Toyota haven't finished the job yet, it will be done by close of business today they say.

They have told me that the workshop foreman has concluded that it shouldn't be covered by warranty. He has suggested it's possible a bit of grit has gotten in the bearings.
I've thrown all my toys out of the cot and gone for the jugular here in a composed way.

I've thrown quite a few things in their face, with supporting evidence of the quality of workmanship that has came out of their workshop, and also made it clear I won't be taken for a fool.

Stay tuned.

Latest posts