Using a detector to find the wash layer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone use or have experience using a detector to find the run of river gold . Id like some tips on how its done and what to look for.
Ill be using a 71khz detector for the job.
Gaz

Hi Gaz,
I am pretty sure the Whites GMT has a function to indicate the black sand deposits in the creek bed which MAY be a good place to start looking for the colour. I have not seen it done apart from on Jeff Williams on youtube, he did it in the desert and dry blew the indicated spots.

mbasko said:
The GB2 doesn't have the same functionality for doing this. The Whites machines are the only way I'm aware of to track black sand?

In theory at least, the various Fisher Gold Bug digital models and the new F19 should also be able to do this. From the Gold Bug Pro operating manual:
The Fe3O4 bar graph indicates the amount of iron mineralization in the soil. In most gold fields, especially alluvial (placer) deposits, gold tends to be associated with iron minerals, especially magnetite black sand. If you know this to be the case in the area you're working, you can maximize your gold recovery by concentrating your effort on areas where the bar graph indicates higher amounts of iron mineralization.

I'm uncertain whether Australian creeks/rivers accumulate sufficient concentrations of black sand for this US technique to be viable here. Has anybody here tried using a GMT or digital Gold Bug for this purpose?

I've briefly tried the GMT but it wasn't conclusive as the areas I test panned where readings were higher didn't return anything more than if I had just used my eyes etc. & worked out where I reckoned the gold line was anyway? Got more just cleaning out nearby crevices etc.
I quickly worked out detecting in creeks wasn't really for me anyway but for someone keen there could be some merit in following it as it is nature for heavies to be together?

Visual observation is far more reliable than mineralized "surface" sand layers, as these deposit further up the flood zone than the serious heavies you should be targeting. Can have a slight advantage in sourcing flour gold, which associates itself with the mineralized sands, but looking for visible ironstone pockets behind larger river rocks will net you far better results..... and will define the gold line more clearly. ;)

Some good feedback , it wasnt something I was planning to do but I just happened to come across the subject while reading some test reports. Some guys here it seems are pretty cluey going by eye and experience but unfortunately im not all that great in this field so if it was a an option to help me I was going to give it a try.. I still might though if I find out a bit more about it.

mbasko said:
Whites GMT:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=20942#p20942
The GB2 doesn't have the same functionality for doing this. The Whites machines are the only way I'm aware of to track black sand?
Reading the creek/river is probably the best way then detecting where you think the gold lines are?
http://www.angelfire.com/ga4/orlandogpaa/StreamGold.html
Thanks for the links.

I guess I do know the things to look for but I often find myself puzzled when I find gold where it should be only to follow it and it mysteriously stops . Was just hoping for a quicker testing method to better plan ahead .

I personally believe that low tech beats high tech. Pan shovel and good testing beats electronic means. As stated your best information is the interior by your eyes and thinking.

I'd put the time into panning technique and stream dynamics to serve better in the long term

I used a whites GMT to better increase my efficiency for creeks that i already knew had good flood gold in them, basically would walk up the creek when it was dry and mark out using the black sand meter where the highest black sand was, in the particular creek in Creswick it meant a consistent .5 gram an hour compared to .1.

I found the black sand meter to be very useful but did it find the source? no that was hard work and alot of test panning, but as a highbanking efficiency tool i found it to be invaluable on flood/flour gold and the $600 i paid for the GMT was covered between October and December.

Eyes, knowing the ground and testing will never be beaten by technology especially in areas which were mined heavily. I know of areas around here that on average every 10 buckets would produce a solif bucket of black sand for very little to no gold. this is due to early dredging and being heavily reworked by Chinese for 30 years there after. so i would not rely on black sand but the more methods you have up your sleeve and the more testing you do the more ;likely you are to get the results.

Latest posts