Turon River - from Geological Survey 1851

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On page 26 from "A Short Account of the Late Discoveries of Gold in Australia by John Elphinstone Erskine" Excerp from Geological Survey 1851-

"Sir-I have the honour to advise you of points, which, I believe, would repay parties working for gold. They are as follows:-
1. The great bar in the Macquarie River, at Walgumbulla, about three miles below the junction of the Turon.
2. The bar at the junction of the Turon, on the Macquarie River.
3. The several bars on the Turon for eight miles up, especially the first three from the junction.
4. On the Macquarie, at (Neeli) Nelly's corner, and the bars above and below--three or four miles either way.

At each of the abovenamed places I found gold by prospecting with a small pan, and without going any depth.....and it goes on to say that numerous parties were leaving Ophir for the Turon, to search the spots mentioned, but by accident determined that gold should first be found in great abundance at a different point on the same river."

It goes on with info about other inlets, creeks, tributaries, hills etc of interest forming nearly an equilateral triangle with Ophir, and surrounds....very interesting read, about 101 pages and describes many land marks for this area. Once read, you can picture the old timers hard at it.....