Trommel Build..question for the sparkys

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

y4k

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but as my knowledge of electrical gizmos and gadgets is zero im gonna risk looking like a fool and ask anyway lol.
Is it possible to adapt 240v appliances to run off battery? Reason i ask is i have been planning a trommel build for some time but recent unemployment means no cash to buy the parts i need but i have a pedestal fan sitting in the corner i rarely use which got me thinking. In my head it would just run slower due to not having the same oomph which would be ok for a slow turning trommel, i also liked the idea of having the 3 speeds that are a part of the fan...or am i way off the mark? Lol
y4k

G'day y4k, Nah not a dumb question at all. You could simply use an inverter to convert your 12V battery power to 240V.

Having said that, I don't know what size trommel you're talking about, and so don't know how long your battery would last. I suspect that a decent size deep cycle battery would be your best bet, but you don't want to run them too low or you stuff them. Maybe a solar panel to keep putting a bit back in.

No doubt others that know more than me on the forum, but as you say - "Dreaming the Dream". It's quite doable, just gotta work out the nitty grits that go with it.

Tks Phoenix,
Still unsure of exact dimensions as i still need to track down the materials for the barrel but had thought something along the lines of a 10-14'. I have a largish deep cycle battery and solar panel which i use in my kayak so that could be adapted no worries, running the trolling motor and depth sounder the guy who built it for me said the solar would be enough to last me a full days fishing and once the sun had gone down most of the night from the battery, so at a guess i would imagine the battery alone could give me 4 to 5hrs running time, dependant on how much a pedestal fan would draw i guess.

windscreen wiper motors can be adapted...hi low speed with a built in gearbox for more grunt.. found on a wreck free.... grab the wiper switch and electric wires, plugs while you are there... :) intermitant tromel.. that will be a first :)

kawman said:
windscreen wiper motors can be adapted...hi low speed with a built in gearbox for more grunt.. found on a wreck free.... grab the wiper switch and electric wires, plugs while you are there... :) intermitant tromel.. that will be a first :)
Still considering something along those lines cos as u say they are easy to come across, wasnt too sure about the intermitant part though lol i guess with enough turn they will still do the job..any idea how they would handle the constant use? as ive heard that the starter motors etc burn out quickly due to being run longer than they were designed for.

y4k, I'd be a bit nervous of wiper motors myself. I do a lot of car wrecking and they're not really the most robust thing you will find. Suppose they can run all day in the rain but they are not under any real load. Even with the fan motor I would be looking for one off a more industrial type fan like those ones in factories that remind you of a plane taking off.

Phoenix76 said:
y4k, I'd be a bit nervous of wiper motors myself. I do a lot of car wrecking and they're not really the most robust thing you will find. Suppose they can run all day in the rain but they are not under any real load. Even with the fan motor I would be looking for one off a more industrial type fan like those ones in factories that remind you of a plane taking off.
Yeah i had wondered whether the fan may suffer the same fate was more out of desperation to get something done that i dragged it out of the corner (luckily i havent dismantled it yet) have seen a few relatively cheap scooter motors on fleabay...may just wait it out until i can find one i can afford unless something pops up in the mean time, could probably get my hands on a washing machine motor but again, unsure how good they would be and would still need to convert from 240v

I second the windscreen wiper motor. They can handle a bit of water, they're 12volt and you try to stop one from turning (it will twist your hand off). We use 1 on a spit and found a cheap speed controller for it, works a treat and I'm sure you will be happy with it. We used pushbike cogs from front and back of racing bike to get speed right. Hope this helps.

Cracka.

cracka said:
I second the windscreen wiper motor. They can handle a bit of water, they're 12volt and you try to stop one from turning (it will twist your hand off). We use 1 on a spit and found a cheap speed controller for it, works a treat and I'm sure you will be happy with it. We used pushbike cogs from front and back of racing bike to get speed right. Hope this helps.

Cracka.
It does tks mate, already have the cogs and chain from a mountain bike and just about to go and pick up a perforated metal barrel so will start the search for a wiper motor.
Cheers.

All good suggestions y4k. Just make sure that which ever way you go, the motor, 240v or 12v, has enough oomph to operate the trommel. Not only the weight of the barrel but also the weight of the wash you put through it along with water. These things all add up so just make sure you have enough wattage. Cheers.

Just wondering if there is any science or recommendations behind how fast a trommel should turn?

I've been thinking about a pelton drive trommel add-on to my Walbanker.

I think you could make a pelton drive reasonably easily from metal scraps (or maybe spoons :) ) and you wouldn't have to lug a battery providing your pump has enough pressure/volume. They spin pretty fast so would need to be in balance but geared down might have enough grunt to drive a trommel.

slowflow said:
Have you considered an electric scooter motor assembly.
They have good torque, adjustable speed & ebay could be a source.
Or maybe http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com//product_info.php?products_id=904
Yeah i did have a look at a few of these on fleabay and originally that was the way i was going to head but with no job and no money at the moment im stuck with trying to do it on the cheap, free if possible lol and a wiper motor i know i can get for that. Certainly down the track when the finances are a little healthier i will chop and change bits and pieces.

When I had to repower my trommel I used sprokets and chains designed to be used to power a push bike with a small motor much more heavy duty.I think the rpm for a trommel is between 15 and 20 rpm depending on feed rate and length of the barrel.if the rocks come out nice and clean at the end the speed is set just right

Keep the five speed cogs ability to be adjusted down on the fly,... that way you still have room for speed/torque adjustment in the feild,... this as well as variable speed on your motor should give you a good range of control. :D

If i end up going with the wiper motor is there a relay or something i would need to remove or bypass to have it rotate in a single direction?

As warrior said, if the rocks come out clean then your doing something right, speed will depend on soil/gravel type. Eg more clay, slower speed to clean the clay off. Depends on the length of your barrel (the longer the barrel the more cleaning area and time spent in the spray area), and the angle the barrel is set at (steeper the angle the faster the rocks go through. All makes sense doesn't it?

Cracka.

The wiper motor goes in one direction, they use a cam system to make the blades go back and forth. All you will need is the wiper motor and maybe a dc speed controller to adjust the speed. Or try different cogs for the speed.

Cracka.

Latest posts