Trinity Gold Pans

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syndyne

Shaun Galman
Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought I'd share a few photos and info on the Trinity Pans that I picked up from the US several years ago. I haven't really seen them around that much as while the idea is sound and quite novel, they aren't without their little issues here and there as most gold gear has in due time with thorough use in the field. There were YouTube demo's of these back in the day so perhaps they are still around? Two of these cost me around the $60 mark with shipping which wasn't too bad. I'll have to check up on what they're going for today provided they are still around.

1382678624_trinity_pan1_copyshaun_galman_2013.jpg

This is the 36cm green ABS plastic Trinity Gold Pan.

1382679080_trinity_pan2_copyshaun_galman_2013.jpg

What they have is a basic four riffle setup on one edge with the inclusion of three very small and fairly deep riffles at the base, making a total of seven riffles.

1382679174_trinity_pan3_copyshaun_galman_2013.jpg

On the opposite side of the riffles there is this small 25mm wide sluice-type design with a fairly deep 20mm catchment area at the base that has a scrubbing grate built in.

1382679263_trinity_pan4_copyshaun_galman_2013.jpg

Here you can see the 20mm deep catchment/sluicing area a bit clearer.

They were ideally made for black sand heavy goldfields, or areas with a very clean gravel wash. Absolutely no gold or heavies can escape these pans in those type of gold bearing areas! This makes them ideal for all keen panners, both beginner and pro alike. Those of you who do a fair bit of concentrate clean-up at home would go alright with these too. That small sluice setup is very nice to have on board as a final clean-up tool. One thing I've yet to try is a bit of dry panning with these, not ideal, but not impossible with so many gold catchers like these.

We soon faced problems once we got into the clay heavy fields as the riffles and deep catchment area soon filled with clay and would block up instantly. The three small riffles on the main side also filled with clays and we had a nightmare of a time trying to actually get the fine gold out of those. So these usually stay in the ute when we pan at clay areas and we stick to using our old steel pans.

I have two of these Trinities so what I'm going to do is remove two or three of the small riffles on the main side of one (using a Dremel-type tool) and see if I can improve the design for a more overall usage in the clay carrying gold areas. I'll post pics up when I do that in the coming weeks.

I hope everyone has been doing great out there!
Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Got mine for $35 syndyne from nq miners den, its sure is good for trapping the heavys. Does take a couple of goes to get the right motion with it but nothing a half hour on you tube and 2 hours practice in the local creek coulnt fix. Got a blue one myself, they were outta green at the time. :)

The Green Wanderer said:
Got mine for $35 syndyne from nq miners den, its sure is good for trapping the heavys. Does take a couple of goes to get the right motion with it but nothing a half hour on you tube and 2 hours practice in the local creek coulnt fix. Got a blue one myself, they were outta green at the time. :)

Cheers TGW!

I was wondering if they were still about. Thanks very much for the info.

It's so strange how a pan so similar to another can feel completely different and foreign when you first use it. They are a handy piece of kit to have handy. Steer clear of the clay areas and I'm sure these things would work a treat.

Still hard to beat the old Garrett Super Sluice pans though for an overall nice design and feel overall though. ;)
All the best,
Shauno.

Latest posts