Tomahawk from Creswick Cotty Creek

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went for a scout around Creswick again the other day and given the water is no where to be seen decided to have a bit of a walk along the creek bed. As I was wandering I came across this... no idea if it's a modern item that's seen better days or if it is an older more historic item... either way it broke the walk up a bit ;)
1456585772_tomahawk.jpg

modern item, all good old axes and tomahawks were wood handled,but steel handles have been around on tomahawks for over 30 years now

nicko61 said:
modern item, all good old axes and tomahawks were wood handled,but steel handles have been around on tomahawks for over 30 years now

Second Nicko's post, old timers always fitted wooden handles made from local trees.
Also unless the steel handle has a rubber grip fitted to absorb the shock you will shake your teeth out when you take a swing. Appears the tomahawk in the photo originally had some sort of grip originally?

That was my suspicion... I figured 1: The fact it was so easy to come across (literally just sitting on top of the creek bed, no uncovering required)
And 2: Something about it suggested modern (hadn't thought about the wooden versus metal handle).

Still fun to find more than just rocks while scouting around.

Latest posts