Tips & Tricks for newbies

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy coin & relic hunters, heading out today for the first real relic and coin hunt, got some private property thats been in current family's hands since setteling, they pointed to me the original homstead area, not much there now, some visual ideas where the foundations were but i have to ask where would you, the seasoned hunters start your search, old large trees close by, at the old house site, away from the house site?
Cheers, dwt. :)

I'd like to know this info as well, it can be a hard place to start when you don't know. I have an original cottage on the property here, it has been extended twice, but you can still see how small the original was. I'm sure there is history right here on the property, but the amount of trash that I would find before anything useful just puts me off looking as I don't know where those most likely places could be.

Say what? The go to areas will be clothesline ( if able to be located) think the era and likely positioning, that's a ages old starting point, front and rear doorways ( stairs are great), the edges of the building, and gridding up anywhere that turns something up. Any North facing area with a decent shade tree is a good place (nice summer days sitting in the share, at the base too sitting reading a good book). It's a strange science mate good luck.

Give us a holler if you want another machine for the job, all finds stay with the property of course, I'd be keen.

Jaros said:
I would go all over the house site and outbuildings first, then the trees.
Good luck--how old is the property??
Cheers
hey mate, early to mid 1850's, its been in the familys hands since then. the current owner is 96 and still cruising around in the old cruiser, ha , classic guy, he's son works the farm now and is keen to see what history may lay in wait to be discoverd, so i have just brushed up on the SA_BOGAN, how to Ex-terra 705 guide, and ready to search. :D

Goldtarget said:
Say what? The go to areas will be clothesline ( if able to be located) think the era and likely positioning, that's a ages old starting point, front and rear doorways ( stairs are great), the edges of the building, and gridding up anywhere that turns something up. Any North facing area with a decent shade tree is a good place (nice summer days sitting in the share, at the base too sitting reading a good book). It's a strange science mate good luck.

Give us a holler if you want another machine for the job, all finds stay with the property of course, I'd be keen.
Well hurry up, i cant wait all day....................are you here yet!!!! :rolleyes: :lol:

dwt said:
Goldtarget said:

Well hurry up, i cant wait all day....................are you here yet!!!! :rolleyes: :lol:
Seriously have you left home yet pippin!! hahaaa

I reckon you will have a fantastic time helping the "old fella" relive his memories as well as his son learning about the way of life then.
You might even find that old tin from the kitchen mantlepiece holding the bread and milk money. MMmmm those coins and notes hey.
You'll have a ball. Wish i was there.

I'm sorry mate Ray Donavon is winning. I'm not sure what Pippins Mrs is called but she's here too lol. I'll see what I can do to get early release for time served.

dwt said:
dwt said:
Goldtarget said:

Seriously have you left home yet pippin!! hahaaa
Self explanatory whats going on here!!! :lol:
1412467858_exterra-optimized.jpg

Not a bad afternoon out, solved a lot of the worlds problems with the property owner, quite a few good laughs.
I need to brush up on my relic/coin hunting skills, i felt more like a poorly qualified archeologist than a relic/coin hunter, the xterra was making all sorts of bleeps and blaps, numbers running from 20's to 40's, i had no idea what the hell was going on, the farmer thought he would have a crack for a while :| ................thought we were laughing hard before, we were both in stiches after he finished pushing every button under the sun and waving it around like he was trying to raise the attention of a rescue chopper, he gladly handed it back and returned to the stories of yesteryear which i have to say i enjoyed much more :lol:
Its wierd how when your travaling out to a new spot your spirits are high and all sorts of wierd wonderfull things start floating through you mind on what you might discover tucked down beside an old tree stump or buried deep underground, here a few ideas floating around im my head on the way out..............
1412483094_imagescaolz0sz-optimized.jpg

1412483094_imagescabdi2mj-optimized.jpg

1412483094_imagesca8iiyb6-optimized.jpg

Okay this last one might be a bit wierd, but hey, what can i say............ :D
1412483094_imagescargcocq-optimized.jpg

so once my thoughts have been gatherd, and sights set on reality :|, it was time to sniff out and see what i could find
1412483421_today1_001-optimized.jpg

1412483422_today1_002-optimized.jpg

1412483422_today1_003-optimized.jpg

1412483422_today1_005-optimized.jpg

1412483422_today1_007-optimized.jpg

pic with 36 on the screen is the brass ring, 40 is the piece of melted metal of some type, anyways good few hours out, nothing insane found, might wait till GT has some time and see what 2 detectors can sniff out.
And i can see alot more time studying SA_BOGANS youtube clips to suss out the xterra a bit more,
Cheers, dwt :D

Nice area to hunt and it looks like your already finding the target areas. IMO I would go around the house like I'm mowing the lawn (which I don't do very often ) starting next to the house the grid outwards. I hope my videos are helping, one thing that wouldn't be in the video is searching for relics so you would want to remove discrimination and run it in all metal mode and dig everything not only for the stuff made of iron but it also may be masking good stuff underneath it. Also make sure you have you sensitivity cranked and auto ground balance on and away you go :)

Sa_bogan said:
Nice area to hunt and it looks like your already finding the target areas. IMO I would go around the house like I'm mowing the lawn (which I don't do very often ) starting next to the house the grid outwards. I hope my videos are helping, one thing that wouldn't be in the video is searching for relics so you would want to remove discrimination and run it in all metal mode and dig everything not only for the stuff made of iron but it also may be masking good stuff underneath it. Also make sure you have you sensitivity cranked and auto ground balance on and away you go :)
Cool thanks mate, will do on the next trip out ;)

Just grid up the whole house site and the immediate surrounds, use some pink flagging or similar to denote the area detected so you have something to reference. If the homestead had any floorboards, a lot of gear might have slipped through the gaps to the ground base. Looks like fun! :)

When,on rare occasion I got chance to detect old farm house, I dig on all signals. A tin full of old coins will give iron signal, regardless of what is inside. Same goes for old pistol. You will dig lots of nails, wire and similar junk. But now and then you may get something more interesting.
Karl

looking at the photos of the treasure chest it reminds me of some friends i take out on the diggings sometimes who have a 5 year old grandaughter

The first time we went she wasnt too interested until we told her we were going looking for "Pirate Treasure"

WOOOOHOOOO ! wanna see that kid's enthusiasm now !

she does the happy dance all day even before she gets a bit of gold in her hand

dwt, I would take a sieve with you and dig any signals and go through the dirt with the sieve to see what other types of finds there are that you wouldn't normally pick up when just pulling out signal finds. It may help to build up a clearer picture in your mind of what was happening where, and who knows what little interesting things you may find, like old clay marbles that could be worth a lot of money to a collector. Or it may lead you to find the old dumping ground where there may be old intact bottles. I would do it if it were me having a look at an old likely spot like the one that you are able to detect. Good luck with it all.

Good point Silver. I just use a cheap plastic tray/basket from a discount shop. where possible, I dig around the target and check the basket til the target appears. sift it thru. it helps when other signals in the ground nearby and not having a P/P. generally I get by with this method. I can get the tecta fairly close with cross referencing - X,ing, and works well for sand. :cool:

Latest posts