Time to join a club

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have had a few little attempts at cutting a polishing some small stones, but have been wanting to join a club for a while to learn a bit more. My closest club seems to be the Illawarra lapidary club, so I popped out today to check out the club and travel time.
Everyone seemed very friendly and I got shown around the various machines. There was a silver smithing class going on with some stunning work being done, as well as some faceting and polishing. What I could not get over was when I was shown the discard pile :eek: There were thunder eggs, agate, petrified wood, amethyst crystal cluster, bolder opal and a huge chunk of sard bigger than my hand and a few inches thick. Apparently these were unwanted offcuts and bits that members could look through.
So I cant wait to join up and get started now :D

Don't suppose anyone else from PA would be a member there?

Hi Shivan,

I've been meaning to join that club for a while. Would be good to go on some outings with them.

All those off cuts brings a tear to my eye :D That's amazing! I'd like to get back into cutting. I loved it when I used to do it for work.

Do they still meet on a Wednesday?

Karen

I think the business and social meeting is on the third Wednesday of the month, though there seem to be classes on most days at different times.
I have been looking at joining for a while but the trip from Nowra has been putting me off, would have been nice to have something a bit closer to home, but now I just cant wait to have a go and chat with a few others about it all.

If they have classes on different days that would work for me. Thanks for that info Shivan. You've inspired me to join them.

I never joined in the past because a Wednesday night meeting clashes with other stuff I have on. But if classes are held different days . . . . .

So I may see you there.

If you'd like to share petrol costs ($10?) and get a lift with me (I don't bite most days :D ) - PM me if you like. Or not. :D

Same, been wanting to join a club for the past year... Other stuff just gets in the way. Was going to visit the local lapiary club this Tuesday only to noticed I'm booked in with a customer instead, get around to it one day :mad:

Hi Martin,

In my closest lapidary club's newsletter, I've noticed there is a mineral collection for sale (bids to be in before April 2016).

I'll email you the page. Anyone else who would like it, pm me.

Karen

G'day Karen if its the collection I was looking at I would be a very extensive collection, it looked very interesting. I was tempted to see if they would allow a look before it is sold as I have no hope of affording it.

If you are joining, I would love to look at sharing a ride up, will shoot you a PM shortly.