thunder eggs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey guys,
I was wondering if you could still get thunder eggs from hanging rock these days? And if so where abouts would be a good place to start looking there? ie tips on what to look for would be good. I'v heard they could still be around the old chinese gold mines that were once there.

cheers tim.

Well from what I was told by my partners mother, she said her dad took her to Nundle/Hanging Rock NSW when she was young...say 30-40years ago. They found a few thunder eggs from their trip and still have them. But from what I'v gathered so far theres no info that says hanging rock has thunder eggs. The nearest site is the Leard State Forest near Boggabri.

Cheers again for the help,
Tim.

Can u get any sapphires around hanging rock? I know u can get them around nundle but what about hanging rock? Me and the missus are going there this week sometime for a few days and were planing for thunder egg hunt, but if we cant do that we can just go fossick for some sapphires around the area.

Cheers,
Tim.

Metallic and Industrial Deposits
208374 - Nundle
(Peel River, Nundle Chalcedony Occurrence)
Coords: -31.457387,151.127717
Mga_coordsys: MGA_56S
Mga_north: 6518188
Mga_east: 322105
Loc_method: 250K
Accuracy: 250
Major_comm: silica gems - cryptocrystalline
Size_code: OCC
Comm_type: GEM
Met_prefix: Unknown
Geo_province: New England Orogen
Metal_dist: not assigned
Op_status: never worked
Op_method: no workings
Lga: Nundle
Compiler: JR Reynolds 24/08/1999
Last_update: 1999-08-24
Occur_size: Occurrence only
Notes: Chalcedony, prase and agate occur as pebbles with gold in holocene gravels in Peel River. MacNevin & Holmes 1980.
Commodities
silica gems - cryptocrystalline MAJOR
Current Resource Estimates
---
Production
---
Minerals
---
Mineralisation Style
---
Host Rock
(alluvium) Alluvium
Relation to Host
---
Alteration
---
Ore Texture
---
Placer
---
Classification
---
Deposit Shape
---
Stuctures
---
Tenements
---
Project References
---
References
MacNevin A.A. & Holmes G.G. (1980) Mineral Industry 18: Gemstones (2nd edition). 2015-09-19 DocType:publication

Quite a few Cryptocrystalline deposits around Nundle, most say Agate but Thunder Eggs are very similar. Green Triangles are the gem deposits there, Sapphire, Zircon, Jasper, Chrysoprase, Cryptocrystalline.

1442659147_crypto_gems_nundle.jpg

Latest posts