This Is Crystalline Gold....

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this piece south of Meekatharra WA with my trusty GPX4000. Lived in the area for several years, out every day and this is the only crystalline piece i found.
It weighed less than 2 grams. Very rare.

1546862718_crystaline_gold.jpg

Not all crystalline gold is faceted like this piece.
I have seen other concentric shaped pieces.
I am amazed at the age and stability of this country when you think this crystal was formed within the range of our detectors and leached from the soil by rainfall alone in a desert area receiving only 25 inches of rain per year.. How long did it take to form this crystal?
I'm still gobsmacked.

The Fortnum area up from Meeka has been a hot spot for crystaline gold in the past.

Not a rocklicker, but I think you will find that they are not created near surface as is Supergene enrichment...but wind up in detector range due to erosion etc.
As I understand it, the crystals are formed because of differing rates of cooling....could well be wrong though!

EVIE/BEE said:
Not all crystalline gold is faceted like this piece.
I have seen other concentric shaped pieces.
I am amazed at the age and stability of this country when you think this crystal was formed within the range of our detectors and leached from the soil by rainfall alone in a desert area receiving only 25 inches of rain per year.. How long did it take to form this crystal?
I'm still gobsmacked.

25 inches in some dry parts is good rain (635 millimetres) as an average annual total.

Goldtalk Leonora said:
The Fortnum area up from Meeka has been a hot spot for crystaline gold in the past.

Not a rocklicker, but I think you will find that they are not created near surface as is Supergene enrichment...but wind up in detector range due to erosion etc.
As I understand it, the crystals are formed because of differing rates of cooling....could well be wrong though!
You could be right Goldtalk. I've embarrassed myself. More research needed.

You're absolutely right Goldtalk.
It all starts at the atomic level. Too much for a gold digger like me, chemistry is not my favourite subject.

1548032472_crystal_formation..jpg

Latest posts