The Legend of Billy Blue

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
SJ Tazewell said:
There are today perhaps very few who will recall the legend of Billy Blue. Billy Blue was a part aboriginal who with his gin lived somewhere in the Shoalhaven Gorges. Others persist he lived in a particular cave which for at least two generations has never been found and with increasing years its location is becoming even more remote.

Come what may, there is ample evidence that Billy Blue knew where there was a substantial amount of gold to be found. Billy was a quiet sort of chap who kept very much to himself. Periodically he would come into Marulan with small quantities of gold which he would exchange for such commodities as he required and silently and almost invisibly return to his hideout. Experts of the day were satisfied that it was not alluvial wash golf but had been hacked out of a reef.

Bill was a constant visitor to Marulan for a number of years and never seemed to be at a loss for the precious metal. Many indeed, we are told, who tried to track Billy to its source but without success. So expert was Billys bushcraft he was soon lost to any followers. Seeing he was so well watched he conceived a round about course arriving in Marulan by one route and returning by another. The old hands used to speak of two well known tracks known as McCallums and Bradleys Tracks. It is quite apparent Billy had quite a number of routes through the scrub known only to himself.

His gin would wait for his return and should she espie any intruders she would signal him and Billy would take the que and quickly take another trail through the bush.

As age progressed Billy got very sick and he had to be given medical aid. He was hospitalised and gradually sank lower and lower. As he was about to die the story goes, he was asked to reveal the location of his gold. He firmly refused but said if they got his brother he would tell him. At this period there was a considerable aboriginal camp reserve near Yass Town known as Hollywood. By the time they were able to get his brother to his bedside Billy had passed on. It is more than possible Billys widow never knew its exact location for his death brought an end to any more gold. So the secret of Billy Blues gold passed to his grave with him.

Prospectors and geologists have repeatedly tried to find its source without success. However gold there was and the older prospectors and locals still aver the gold is still there somewhere down in the Shoalhaven gorges.

Source: The Legend of Billy Blue by SJ Tazewell (1981), in Goulburn & District Historical Society Bulletin No.157.

Source: http://strlhistorymatters.blogspot.com.au/2010/01/legend-of-billy-blue.html

I love these old yarns, i posted our local one about Dick Belpoole a while back which is very similar to this one, except Dick was rocking it in a tin suit. haha. And they ALWAYS die just before they can let the cat out of the bag.

I have herd mention of him from the Yalwal fields.
From Yalwal gold
by David Glasson

"Billy Blue was his name"
"There was a tribe of aboriginals up here in the early days" says Rex pointing along the ridges that ran behind his house. "they used to sharpen their spears on the rocks just up there. One of the men, 'Billy Blue' was his name, used to know where a rich patch of gold was. Whenever he needed money for something, he would go dig some of it up to cash in. No one ever found out where he had it, but many tried to follow him to his location".

Tale from Rex Fletcher

This is why they are legends! they never take more than they need and they remain coy to the location of the source lest it be taken from unscropulous individuals

I was lucky enough to talk to Rex Fletcher once or twice. He did not strike me as one to make up story's. Though maybe he was passing on what he heard....
I found it interesting that there were a few mentions of Billy Blue, from different people but all around a similar area.
I believe David Berry wrote a small piece or book about him.

Thanks for that article Nugget, it's always these legends which keep us folk interested, half of me believes and half not, this is what makes it so interesting. I"d love to hear more of these legends about the old timers

I googled up info about this fellow and it turns out that there was a black convict that was transported to aus with the very same name much earlier as well.. :)

I was lucky enough to talk to Rex Fletcher once or twice. He did not strike me as one to make up story's. Though maybe he was passing on what he heard....
I found it interesting that there were a few mentions of Billy Blue, from different people but all around a similar area.
I believe David Berry wrote a small piece or book about him.
Regarding Rex Flecher's article as mentioned above" I have a copy of this small book but don't know how to get copyright info or contact to obtain permission to print this in the book I have written for my friend about Billy Blue. If you know how I can reach him if he is still around or a relative that would be most helpful. cheers

Billy Blue was his name"
"There was a tribe of aboriginals up here in the early days" says Rex pointing along the ridges that ran behind his house. "they used to sharpen their spears on the rocks just up there. One of the men, 'Billy Blue' was his name, used to know where a rich patch of gold was. Whenever he needed money for something, he would go dig some of it up to cash in. No one ever found out where he had it, but many tried to follow him to his location".

Tale from Rex Fletcher

Regarding Rex Fletcher's article as mentioned above" I have a copy of this small book but don't know how to get copyright info or contact to obtain permission to print this in the book I have written for my friend about Billy Blue. If you know how I can reach him if he is still around or a relative that would be most helpful. cheers

Tale from Rex Fletcher
If the book was properly published, it should have an ISBN stated somewhere, which is an international system for identifying every book and can be used to trace authorship claimants for copyright purposes. Alterrnatively, contact the National Library of Australia which may be able to help:
https://www.nla.gov.au/

Latest posts