The last old school 4x4 is about to die.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
That is the only newly available 4x4 with old school or as I call it "built tough" technology is getting the axe for 2015. Ofcourse I'm talking about the peewee weight Suzuki Jimny. No I don't own one but have wanted one ever since I drove a hire Jimny on a fraser island trip and ran circles around all the big boys 4X4s. Here's what Jimny enthusiasts will be expected to "upgrade" to in 2015.

From this
ge5488104157941865146.jpg

to this
ge5456950285117750768.jpg

Can you say soft roader?

The concept picture looks much more like a Vitara vs a Jimny. I have owned lots of Suzukis over the years, and they are extremely reliable and cheap to own/run. :)

Actually no need to fret, just read the article and the Jimny isn't being replaced. The above picture is of the iV-4, more of a replacement for the Vitara vs the Jimny. The Jimny has only recently been upgraded with ESC, amongst other cosmetic and equipment changes to extend the model life indefinitely, and to comply with current oz design rules.

I've owned the LJ 50 hardtop, LJ 80 hardtop, LJ 80 stockman tray back and the first model sierra hardtop, all great machines and all great fun to drive offroad. My boss had the LJ 80 soft top with a Mazda rotary motor, what a weapon !!!. Wouldn't mind getting another trayback suzi and upgrading to the GTI motor, be a great prospecting rig. A lot of farmers I work for are buying side by sides and I ask why. Just buy a Suzi, chuck in a set of lockers and a 2" lift, bigger wheels and they would have a cheaper alternative.
:) Mick

A lot of 4bs and AWD's going soft these days. Many of them look real similar too and many of the smaller ones have got bigger. A lot of them look similar as I heard companies hire or outsource the same designers as others used.

I reckon the best Suzi was the LJ50 3 cylinder 2 stroke. :)

Those things would climb a brick wall and I saw one snatch a bogged Falcon out of a hole with water up to the boot.
Two lengths of strap and when the Suzi hit the end it jumped about 3 feet into the air and the Falcon also jumped out of the bog. :eek:

At the time I was still driving my 1954 swb s1 Landy and although its off road ability was legendary the Suzi could run rings around it. :|

The only other vehicle which might better it was the diminutive Haflinger. :cool:
Mike

Latest posts