The Hunter Valley Meteorite

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldbuzzhashit

Domanic
Reaction score
Hello Forum,

Does anyone know any more information about the Meteorite over the Hunter Valley a few weeks ago?

I contacted an astronomer who claimed it was space junk but was very reluctant to advise on any details, sounds like a coverup to me!

I have sketchy details of the flight path, but only from eyewitness accounts. (see attached) maybe not, How do you upload images? Oh, Found it...

1499917853_meteorite_site_hunter_valley_june_2017.jpg

1499918245_meteorite_site_hunter_valley_june_2017_v2.jpg

Keen to find one and tag along with others on this.

Regards
Domanic

There may well be lots more sightings over the next 6 months as the entire Iridium Gen 1 constellation (66 satellites plus spares) will be de-orbited following their replacement with "Iridium NeXT" by the end of 2017. Some have already been dropped, whereas some are failed/drifting in orbit, and some are tumbling out of control.
http://spacenews.com/41898fcc-greenlights-iridium-plan-for-deorbiting-its-1st-generation/
Unlike higher orbiting satellites (such as Geosynchronous) which are boosted into "graveyard" orbits, Low Earth Orbiting (LEO) satellites are lowered into earth's atmosphere where they mostly burn-up. Despite this, there's more space junk up their daily.
So keep your eyes peeled :eek:

Might be the Scrappy in me....But I hope you have some luck. I'm guessing the "owners" of any materials would be reluctant to grant finders keepers.

This is the current Iridium constellation. The satellites with the blue coverage areas (Gen 1) will all be dropped starting now!
The ones with orange ground coverage are the "Iridium NeXT" generation and should be there for at least 10 ~15 years. There are already around 15 more NeXT satellites up and currently being manoeuvred/drifted to their final orbital planes/slots (not shown). You can see gaps in coverage where satellites have drifted or have become unusable.
PS: Iridium 33 collided with a Russian military COSMOS satellite in 2009 (I think), so there's lotsa junk in that orbital range (this stuff happens more than one hears). The space station astronauts had to vacate to their re-entry vehicles when passing through this collision area.
Anyway, there's way more space junk coming our way and burning up (or not).
1499935249_iridium.jpg

Really interesting stuff.
As kids we would camp at yea caravan pk in vic.The night sky was as clear as a bell and we would carefully spot the satellites slowly,and sometimes quickly travelling on their path.
Maybe some of those dropping now are ones we saw back then?

BigWave said:
This is the current Iridium constellation. The satellites with the blue coverage areas (Gen 1) will all be dropped starting now!
The ones with orange ground coverage are the "Iridium NeXT" generation and should be there for at least 10 ~15 years. There are already around 15 more NeXT satellites up and currently being manoeuvred/drifted to their final orbital planes/slots (not shown). You can see gaps in coverage where satellites have drifted or have become unusable.
PS: Iridium 33 collided with a Russian military COSMOS satellite in 2009 (I think), so there's lotsa junk in that orbital range (this stuff happens more than one hears). The space station astronauts had to vacate to their re-entry vehicles when passing through this collision area.
Anyway, there's way more space junk coming our way and burning up (or not).
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6786/1499935249_iridium.jpg

What a mess. Its a bit like Wall'ee when the ship leaves earth.... great info thoe. May need to organise an outing somewhere.

Latest posts