the halo effect help, rusty false high tones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Something that's slowing my coin hunting down, alot! I believe, is the iron halo effect. I dig so many high tones, and they end-up being rusty bolts, nuts, nails etc. My ace350 only recognises them as iron, when they are out of, or uncovered in the hole. How can I get around this? Or do I need a machine like the ATpro that deals better with it?

That's where the dual ID numbers on the minelab multi frequency detectors help out. On a single freqency detector you get just the conductivity figure, whereas on my detector you also get a ferrous readout as well. So basically you can get a rusty tent peg reading at 25:30 with a high tone (high 25 on the ferrous scale:high 30 on the conductivity scale), whereas say the ATPro might just read just 30 which could either be iron or a good conductive target. So the ferrous figure is very useful in determining the type of metal detected, often negating the need to dig the target.

Sometimes all that is required is to remove some of the surface soil to reveal the true ID of the target, without actually having to extract the target. On occasions this will remove any iron from around the target that could be either masking or causing the falsing.

Goldpick said:
That's where the dual ID numbers on the minelab multi frequency detectors help out. On a single freqency detector you get just the conductivity figure, whereas on my detector you also get a ferrous readout as well. So basically you can get a rusty tent peg reading at 25:30 with a high tone (high 25 on the ferrous scale:high 30 on the conductivity scale), whereas say the ATPro might just read just 30 which could either be iron or a good conductive target. So the ferrous figure is very useful in determining the type of metal detected, often negating the need to dig the target.

Sometimes all that is required is to remove some of the surface soil to reveal the true ID of the target, without actually having to extract the target. On occasions this will remove any iron from around the target that could be either masking or causing the falsing.

Thankyou :)

The AT Pro will give a trillip on high ID rusty haloed crown seal. But not every single one, and when you get tired you may not notice the trillip or ferrous hum and dig it.

Sometimes a high ID beep will totally disapear on a second pass, the halo has been disturbed by the electromagnetism and it's gone.

I feel I can ID safely most crown seals now. I feel my mistakes are mostly in digging when I should not. The other day I even dug a $2 that was partly covered by a crown seal bottle top, rusty and all. Now I am moving on to ID old style ring pulls by the pinced beep compared to 20c pieces and gold rings.

:p

Latest posts