The G1 highbanker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavymetal

Luke Atkins
Reaction score
1362914046_sany0654.jpg

Couple of hours with the highbanker :)

hm that would bring a smile to anyone for couple of hours effort well done. :)

Flamin' awesome results for just a few hours work.
Well done.
Cheers
Brad.....

Do you need to classify down with the G1? If not, how does it handle the big rocks?

Cheers
Adam

elbowgrease said:
Do you need to classify down with the G1? If not, how does it handle the big rocks?

Cheers
Adam
No classifying just shovel any size rocks straight on to it. We were even putting football sized rocks in it to wash them off they just don't go down under the spray bar though.
1363045131_0219131326-00.jpg

backcreek said:
Hay Heavymetal,
What type of pump are you running with the G1?
In the pic it looks as though you have a solar panel set up.

Cheers
Mick
Hey Mick I'm running a 4800 GPH 12v pump. It works perfect but without the solar panel a battery only lasts about 2-3 hours.

Hey Heavy metal,
Can you take some photo of the g1 closeup, just for curiosty sake.
Mick I was going to ask the same question, but does the solar panel charge up quick enough to keep up with the voltage drainage?
Cheers
Brad...

Hay H.M.
I liked the principle of the G1, big open hopper with plenty of room to shovel into, low and flat so you don't have to get your shovel at an awkward angle to get the dirt in.
So I built an aluminium version of the G1 top hopper with 4 drop riffles and a 10" grizzly.
I converted my river sluice into the bottom sluice box.
I met Shivan at Oallen on New Years day and tested the outfit.
I ran vortex the whole length of the Sluice under riffles and fine expanded mesh. I also ran vortex in the flair under suspended fine stainless mesh.
I was really surprised that the drop riffles caught about 50 percent of the gold I ended up with, they have merit that's for sure.
If there are clunkers in your dirt they will definitely be trapped in the drop riffles.

Here's the results.

1363399173_oallen1amp2jan2013.jpg

I now want to build a wider bottom tray with some drop riffles and incorporate some of Wal's ideas and some other things.
I built a small sheet metal folder for the purpose and yesterday I went out to Hare and Forbes in Parramatta and bought a 12" bench hand shear ($132) so I can cut the ally. Previously I was cutting it with a circular saw (very noisy and messy) I'd upload some pic's but I can't find the USB cord for my camera :mad:

Cheers
Mick

Hey Mick....If you want to make a high vol. banker and your in a flour gold area be careful, and don't put to much reliance on the drop riffles to catch flour gold.

Drop riffles are great on low volume boxes, and need cleaning as soon as the drop riffles fill with black sand. Places like Oallen have heaps of black sand. A mate of mine set up his "M&D MARKS" hi-banker next to us at Oallen. We ran both bankers for 6 hrs with gravel from the same hole....(about 3 cu mtrs each). At cleanup he was surprised he had only 1/2 the gold we had. We had almost 5 grams and he had just over 2. The drop Riffles were completely choked with black sand, and 1/2 his flour gold washed strait through the box. His lesson from the exercise was to clean up at least every hour.

My suggestion, if your going to use any sort of drop riffle arrangement, then use ones similar to the " Angus MacKirk drop riffles, where they incorporate gravity trap riffles. These boxes are far better than the "MARKS" version. Cheers Wal. :)

Hey Wal,
If your riffles are choking up, would you not look at your launder angle or the amount of water you are pumping through?

That's exactly right Gold miner....that's why many drop riffle arrangements on smaller sluices have a critical balance between sluice angle and water pressure. You up the water pressure or sluice angle to accommodate larger through put and that will lead to flour gold washing through, especially in high concentration black sand areas . See it happen all the time. Moral of the story ....don't expect boxes designed for small through put, especially drop riffle, with given " pressure to angle " ratios, to be mass fed and still recover a high % of flour gold. Cheers Wal. :)

OK Cool.
So what would you suggest is a/the better riffle system? (I only ask as you say "especially drop riffle")
As we all know, throughput is the answer to get profitable gold. (unless youre panning on that little creek just below Lassiters reef! ;) )
So the ideal method would be to get as much dirt through as possible.

Mate...If i find that little creek I'll give you a buzz, and maybe we can go halves...I'll bring the sluice and you can bring some of that dirt crunching gear you have up there...lol.. :)

I've used a concept from my old dredging days and incorporated the riffle system into my hi-banker arrangement. Don't know if you have seen the vid i made on "how to build a high banker that works".... If I was to run a large volume operation I would run the same principal in a larger scale and weld the riffle arrangement in the same "Z" config. The config i use in the vid is not as water pressure sensitive as most and can run the much higher water volumes needed for large through put....But I guess everybody has a system that works for them..Cheers Wal. :)

Latest posts