Testing ground for hibanker / sluices

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys , I recently purchased a 2 foot wood drill bit (20mm), was going to try it with cordless drill to take samples of creek to avoid shovel ( lazy I know) . Was wondering if anyone out there has tried it ? was no trouble in back yard.. ( I did think if water pipes of course !! ). Or maybe I am loosing the plot !! :)

yeah probably would be.... maybe a hand operated version would be better, then it should be no difference than using a shovel mmmmm . thanks for reply :)

With all the water and gravel it would just collapse back on itself and it would "screw" in rather than draw material out. Would work in dry creek beds but like Ramjet said "illegal" and a hand auger would be harder than a shovel. In a dry bed a post hole shovel could be used. I am just happy that as a fencer a question has finally come up that I am an expert in. ;) hahaha

Hi,
Got me thinking, have 2 manual post hole diggers gathering rust, 1 about 4 inches the other around 8, may be worth a try in the vacinity of some old diggings.
I know in most cases it will not 'lift' when withdrawing the digger but it will sure loosen things up ...... Loosen soil, excavate & classify, sluice/pan whatever's there.
Beats watching shite on the giggle box.
Cheers Tom

mbasko said:

I was thinking more the petrol type.
Yes yes I know... Highly illegal. Just dreaming :D

1384320093_post-hole-digger.jpg

Hand held diggers do not deal with rocks at all or tree roots or hard ground. Trust me I have ruined arms and back as proof.

i'm with balx,
I tried a hand auger and it would not go through the rocky wash.
pity as it would have been great for loaming the wash across a hill instead of the surface.
regards trashy

that sucks I had one of those on my wish list... i suppose it make sense its not like they can push a stone aside very far one decent round rock and your stuffed

thanks guys for the replies , I figured someone would have had to of tried it before , might stick to shovel for now.
cheers

Latest posts