Tesoro Vaquero

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Afternoon all, today I researched The Tesoro Vaquero detector and read a few positive reviews, however most of the reviews are by agents of this detector, so I am somewhat sceptical. The product is cheap, around $500.00 and I know you only get what you pay for, but has any one had any experience with this product? Cheers, Swigsy

The Vaquero has a really good following as a simple, multi-use detector, especially in the US. The Vaq is not a cheap toy, but a very capable detector that can go very deep, a lot deeper than some other detectors in the same range (especially using the supertuning method). It also has one of the best discrimination circuits on the market that can accurately weed out whatever junk you don't want to find.

Applications include coin hunting, relic hunting, beach hunting, and even some goldfields work with a frequency range of 14.3 to 14.7 khz, which is a good multiuse frequency without being too high to miss deep targets, and not too low to miss the small stuff. The are three choices of frequency to chose from to prevent cross talk between detectors in close proximity, plus manual ground balancing to enable detecting in reasonably mineralised areas. All tesoros have life a lifetime warranty( need to read fine print on that one regarding purchasing within Oz, or bringing one in from the US send hand).

Other plusses include its extremely light weight, has a good coil range from tesoro and NEL, easy and accurare pinpoint fuction (the bid red button), and the fact that it only requires one 9 volt battery which will last for a few hunts. It is extremely easy to use, especially for people that don't like digital screens and prefer beep and digs machines.

I found it 100% easier to use than the Minelab x-terra 305, no screen to worry about, no confusing numbers and tones to try and decifier, just set the discriminating to knock out any targets you don't want to find, and away you go. You also have the option of working in all-metal mode with the discrimination turned off, thiswill allow you to hear the deep faint targets, and the preferred method for prospecting - basically dig everything in this setting.

I no longer have mine, though it is still an excellent detector, I now prefer to have specific detectors for specific tasks or environments(think gold detecting/beach detecting), something you learn through the process of owning different detectors. There are a few Vaquero owners across the forums that own the Vaquero, and they all love the machine.:)

Thank you Goldpick and The Duck, I appreciate your comments. There is so much information available that it is hard for a novice to make a rational decision If I can find a Vaquero for the right price it will be mainly used for gold fossicking. Regards Swigsy

If you are looking specifically at gold fossicking, would you be willing to look at both new and second hand detectors, and look at purchasing from abroad? I say this as there are some other VLF detectors floating around in the market that may fit the bill, including the older Whites Goldmaster(gold only), Tesoro Lobo and Diablo/Diablo2(some with discrimination), Fisher Gold Bugs(some with discrimination), Garrett Scorpion (has good discrimination) and so on. I'd get a gold machine with discrimination abilities, thus allowing you to use it elsewhere other than just the gold areas. Also look at the frequencies of the detectors, the higher the frequency, the smaller gold you will be able to find with the detector, albeit whilst sacrificing stability in hot ground.

The vaquero is a beep and dig machine. After testing mine due
To the great reviews i sold it.

Research the G2.

Great for prospecting and coin shooting since most coins are 6 inches or so

Deep.

Latest posts