Teach me about Sand Scoops.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
NOT Sandta Scoops, that is a google search that can't be unseen.

Seriously though, what's the skinny?

Short, mid, long?

Could certainly badge something together, but I'd like to hear from you lot as to the pros and cons of various types before I do.

Cheers.

I bought one a long time ago TSB,.....short handle over the scoop type, metal(not stainless),... still going strong, mouth of it gets busted around on rocks sometimes,... just gets hammered back into shape and away I go again,.... no good really with the underwater detector as it hurts my foot when I use the foot to opperate it in neck deep water after a while, so in that case a long handle one would be more convienient i'm sure.

Whats with 'not sandta scoops' ;)
My view ... No matter what you buy... Be prepared to have to fix it
1436787491_image.jpg

I cant remember what this one is called ... I think it broke on my third outing :rolleyes: then give it the Tonka treatment , been ok since.
Fiberglass shovel handle (with additional tube reinforcing up the guts) about 1200 long. This is second fibreglass handle( has stress fractures , needs replacing) originaly i fitted a length of s/s pipe/tube but managed to bend it( not flexible enough , and way too heavy).
I have made up a couple of new scoops ( a fair shite load of work by hand) to be suited for specific applications. Not yet completed
1436787543_image.jpg

1436787578_image.jpg

Ooooohhhh SandraT,... I just love those braceing aditions to your Ssssssscooop(ha) (chardy
). ;)
Sandta said:
Whats with 'not sandta scoops' ;)
My view ... No matter what you buy... Be prepared to have to fix it
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3188/1436787491_image.jpg
I cant remember what this one is called ... I think it broke on my third outing :rolleyes: then give it the Tonka treatment , been ok since.
Fiberglass shovel handle (with additional tube reinforcing up the guts) about 1200 long. This is second fibreglass handle( has stress fractures , needs replacing) originaly i fitted a length of s/s pipe/tube but managed to bend it( not flexible enough , and way too heavy).
I have made up a couple of new scoops ( a fair shite load of work by hand) to be suited for specific applications. Not yet completed
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3188/1436787543_image.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3188/1436787578_image.jpg

Certainly do... Between foot pressure on the back of scoop and down force from handle ... Collapsed that back section of the scoop.
A chunk of 30x6 stopped it :D

Gotcha, that's what looked wrong with the offerings I saw, not enough beef on the arse.

So if ive got the workings right a handle mor than 3-4 foot long would just get in the way.

Horses for courses ... Try what feels comfortable and works for you . You may find you want something different for certain situations

Mines great for working in the sand,... especially dry sand,....you have to have a good dig and search method in wet sand,... check what you've dug place each scoop left or right etc then rescan hole and scooped out bits to see if it's still in the hole or out and left or right,... and so on etc etc,.... and here comes into play the propointer/(insert some other brand type name),... all good for down to the surf. :)

just make sure they are a little bit smaller than a Threepence,... that's usally the smallest target you dont want to loose,.. anything smaller than that, just spread out the sand and relocate, then either use a propointer or wave the sand you think has the target over the coil. ;)

To be honest you are better saving the $50 to put towards a good scoop. I started with the cyclone listed above and quickly found it wasnt going to do the job. Sure in the dry sand it will work but you will find that a scoop head on ebay at around the $100 to $150 will be better money spent even if you thrash it hard. It takes 1/4 of the time to dig and is wicked for dry and wet sand. Just my 2c

Nah, got a feed scoop to drill, $20 4 mm or so polyethylene, bit smaller than a footy diameter.

Tough as nails, kayak plastic.

Think i'll go 1/4 inch on the bottom and one row above, 1/2 for the rest.

Should do the trick till I find a tough long handled beast.

Feed%20Scoop.jpg

usually you would find all holes in a scoop the same size(I think).

well there's nothing saying inovations arn't the mothers cousin of inventions.lead the way TSB and many may follow.

Hey SB, those scoops have a good shape for digging with the pointed nose, and the built in handle is great. Being all plastic will be good as you can run the detector over it to see if the target is in the scoop. The idea of different sized holes is a good one. There are some scoop manufacturers that do that on a couple of there scoops. I'd suggest the smaller holes in the back end, but also for a few centimetres away from the back, then the bigger holes from there forwards. Don't take the holes all the way to the tip, leave a section solid to help strengthen the tip for digging. Should be a good tool in the dry sand, but a long handled scoop will save a lot of getting up and down/bending which can be tiring on long hunts, also less tiring in the wet sand. I'd probably steer clear of the pretty pink scoop as you might start attracting some unwanted attention (beach detectorists can be a bit of a target for ridicule and harrassment at times, especially at night when the pubs and clubs start emptying out ).

Latest posts