Tasmania - Hobart City Council - By-Laws

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muttering

meika
Reaction score
Recently I was approached (after, I think, being watched for a bit) and asked if I had sought permission for my activity from the Hobart City Council (HCC). I had searched the HCC website for metal detecting but found nothing, and so was surprised permission was required. I said I would check this out and suggested that perhaps it might be more easily found on the website. We had a great little chat. This was down at the Tasman Memorial fountain at Salamanca place (about $50 in goldies). I got there about 7am.

1389083437_cut2centssmall.png

Anyway weeks and weeks go by and I forget to check out the HCC website. I duck out early to check out Franklin Square where people wait on the grass for buses. ($20) Sure enough I am approached again and I immediately admit to not checking the website as yet (it was the same face). But now I have. I also said I would post what I find out online in various fora, so here 'tis.

Parks, Recreation and Natural Areas By-Law PDF

The applicable By-Laws do not mention metal detecting at all, and I am sure most By-Laws around Australia will not mention it by default. The activity is covered by a number of paragraphs, but its a bit grey and while the institution thinks it's covered by the By-Laws, it's not really. No directly, it's all about damage and theft ( particularly from historic sites which the council has here in Tas).

Here as elsewhere there has been a recent flurry of metal detecting, and it transpires some younger members of the fraternity are digging whacking great holes and thus annoying the good burghers of Hobart.

Don't do this as it makes me post legal forums posts and then linking to them from facebook.

This is a hassle. :/

Also, If I see you digging whacking great holes I'll immediately ring the number I was given.

Especially if it turns out we all have to ask permission in writing detailing when and where we can detect THIRTY DAYS IN ADVANCE because of numbskulls. The by-laws could be easily changed to directly include metal detecting.

This may come across as a bit strong.

Good.

:lol:

Latest posts