Sweeper Induced Metal Interferance

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently purchased a SP01 and have mounted it on the top strap of my harness so I can see the settings. I find that it interferes with the 4500 when bending over looking for a target. Will probably have to move it to near the battery.

Mate I run a 4500 with a 15 inch evo coil. I find that the aluminium upper shaft will cause murmurs whilst detecting due to the whip in the shaft/camlocks....car keys in my pants are readable and hit... pick in a belt holder on the waist hits and GPS and mobile phone causes annoying murmurs. All easily controlled.

Dont wear a watch, rings or have coins in the pocket. And no metal in the shoes/boots.

Carry your pick over your shoulder and keep or your bibs and bobs in a vest/camel pack.

Hope that helps. I have my 4500 as quite as a church mouse by the above.

Regards

Happy Jack

Hi Middo,
Plenty of responses here I have gps in pouch on waist band, phone in top pocket, gold bottle in r/h side knee pocket with my test pieces in, the wedding ring catches me though from time to time
When scooping over coil.. No problems with everything else.
Tune your RX down if your experiencing interference is my advice. Should fix the problems.

RR

Thanks RR and Happy Jack,... all good tips.
I already carry the pick on the shoulder for that reason, not too uncomfortable. As i sweat like a pig i have a 3lt camelback. Another member carries a small bag with ancillaries in Gps etc, and leaves it at a close by point whilst swinging. Then collects it and moves on.

Useful strategy that im going to adopt. I can leave my gridding materials, snacks...gps .etc in that so its handy.

Although im learning, your tips cut down my mistakes and will get me up to speed quicker, i hope!

Cheers

I have a pick on my left hip - tends to interfere when I have bigger coil (especially when detecting early mornings or night when I have RX gain high). I have the shaft extended fully and try to keep swing biased to RHS.

The sP01 is mounted on left hand side or harness. It will interfere when getting target if I lean too close to coil. Need to sort with scoop keeping coil on RHS.

Phone is in LHS pocket. Switch to airplane mode to reduce EMI from phone - if its looking for a tower (as it tends to do in lower reception areas such as the goldfields lol) it will keep sending signals to try to connect. Airplane mode stops this.

Have Oliver AT boots - all composite.

As a general note, the bigger the coil and higher the gain, the more chance you have of having interference from things you are carrying.

Latest posts