Suggestions for the best computer antivirus (free or paid for).

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day all,
My "Trend" antivirus runs out in a few days so I thought I would get all you computer savvy peoples advice on what the best one would be to replace it.
I run an older computer and believe it or not Windows XP! :eek:
Any suggestions would be great! :)
Thanks in advance folks.

Cheers,
Billy.

I use AVG free edition both on PC and Smartphone and have never had a problem..touch wood. But i believe even the paid version is only around $30 and offers comprehensive cover. Maybe not the best one out there but has done the job for me for a number of yrs, virus free.

I have very little experience when it comes to computers and such. I originally had the AVG free which I never had a problem with. I have now upgraded to the paid version and can't fault it. I don't even touch it. I just let it do whatever it needs to, and everything seems fine.

I used Trend when working for the D.O.D., when an employee, I was allowed to use it on my home computer. When I retired I was no longer able to use it for free, so I bought my own license. I have the 5 seat license and use it on my laptop and my wife's laptop both on Win 8.1. The 3rd seat is on my wife's work laptop which is on Vista.
The 4th and 5th installs are 1 on each of our Samsung Galaxy phones.

That way everything is protected and I kind of figured if it's good enough for Defence, it's good enough for me. I use Maximum Security and it's about $80, that's $16 a device or $0.30 a week.

Years ago I used Nortons, I had nothing but trouble and will not use it.

I guess I'll go back to what I've said re other things on the Forum, you get what you pay for, so a free AV is going to be basic. a friend of mine used AVG, picked up one of those lock screen viruses and had to put the PC into a tech to recover use, still waiting to hear if they have got it back.

AVG, Avast and Avira are all good, but for myself, I think that AVG has the edge and doesn't appear to be resource hungry like some others.
Cheers

Cloud based AV's are all the rage today.

Extremely light (small footprint) as virus definitions are based in the cloud meaning your computer does not have to download them as they become available.

I use Panda 2016 Freeware, cloud based AV.
Runs lovely with Win7, 8 and 10.

Real time protection as well as Url & web filtering, with behavioural analysis protection.

http://www.pandasecurity.com/australia/homeusers/solutions/free-antivirus/

;)

I used to use Microsoft security essentials although I think it's now been updated to windows defender. Both are free and when you think about it Microsoft holds the database so why not just get it straight from them. Also at the moment your computer may be going slow due to automatic updating to windows 10 in the background. It's free but a rather large file.

I used to use trend, but switched to norton after I had trend trouble. Even wouldn't let me uninstall it, I had to take it in to get code rewritten to uninstall it and free it up, was almost like ransomware itself I found. Grrrrr trend, you suck dogs anatomy. :mad:

I have used AVG in the past, and it was OK. On this system I was just using Windows Defender, but got a difficult popup infection which was hard to get rid of. Tried all the usual cleaning programs like Malwarebytes and Hitman pro to no avail. Avast did the trick, using the boot scan. Had a subsequent pop up problem with Chrome, but it turned out to be the Chrome popup blocker. Go Figure.

Anything but Norton, one day everything is fine then it will do an update and screw half your programs and will take forever to work out why. I just use the built in windows defender, the only downside is I don't think it's real time, not a problem if you don't click dodgy links though.

I have both Avast free and the paid version.
Have been using for about 4 years.
No Problems.
If you really want to do a full virus clean out including Lock Virus's,
AVG Repair disk cost's nothing and could not be endorsed any more.
When you use it just make sure that you are using a cabled Ethernet to your modem.
It is a cut down version of linux and some times does not load the right driver.
When it starts it will down load the latest update files.

Avast free has always been reliable for me.

Nortons and Trend Micro were a nightmare for me to use in the past .
Only reason D.O.D used Trend Micro was because it was the cheapest.
People are sometimes under the false impression that military means high quality.......cheapest bidder wins the contract.