Strangers approaching you while detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I am sure many of us have been approached by strangers while we are detecting. Random kids wanting to tag along, people asking questions etc. for the most part I don't mind, not a fan of being hounded by kids tho as I go out to escape my own children and the last thing I want is to be surrounded by other peoples kids lol.

Anyway today I got accosted by Mormons lol. They must have thought I was destitute and and needed some spiritual guidance. They were nice enough but wasn't expecting it...

So what are your experiences with strangers and their reactions to seeing you detecting/fossicking?

I was down the beach detecting and a local trainer brings his horses down the beach with his jockey's. He rode up to me and asked if I had found anything. I reached into my bag offered 3 horse shoe back to him. Gave him a good laugh.
After a short conversation he invited me to detect on his property. I haven't taken him up on the offer yet, but will sometime.
Another time A lady walked up to me and said she could have used my services earlier in the year after she lost her engagement ring in a river.

A few years back, three of us were out on the turon using a sluice we hired, when from nowhere 8 guys appeared and headed straight for us. A couple were pretty nasty looking guys so the 2 of us picked up shovels and started digging and the 3rd picked up the crow bar and started playing around in the hole. I have to say it was a relief when a corrective services officer appeared, turned out they were on weekend detention and were cleaning up rubbish in the area.
They had stopped by the river for lunch,had heard the pump running and were curious about what was happening.
A quick chat then they all headed back to the bus and continued on there way.
Even though we weren't detecting, I just thought I'd share the experience. Cheers

Yep ive had the kids tour come thru my site....pulled my half gram nugget out and said that's what im looking for little boy. I had a glazed look in my eyes like a mad prospector in the hot sun. Im sure I converted one of the 10 year olds!

I don't mind feeding kids minds about the hobby but when you get the third family in a row stopping your shovelling for 20 minutes it becomes " tedious"

At least when detecting you can pretend you're deaf , point at the headphones and shout " I CAN'T HEAR YOU"

I might learn some German with a strong accent so I can just say "me no English speakein - yavol herr commandant"

A Few months ago i was detecting deep in the bush, following a creek and heard the distinct sound of someone digging, shovel hitting rocks etc etc. thinking it was another prospecter i sullied up the bank onto the highground and straight into a mull crop (marijuana plantation). was a couple of blokes up there digging there "garden beds". lol, well needless to say, i sneaked back down the creek and outa there.

trenchfighter said:
A Few months ago i was detecting deep in the bush, following a creek and heard the distinct sound of someone digging, shovel hitting rocks etc etc. thinking it was another prospecter i sullied up the bank onto the highground and straight into a mull crop (marijuana plantation). was a couple of blokes up there digging there "garden beds". lol, well needless to say, i sneaked back down the creek and outa there.

hahaha !

lucky they didnt see you.

:(

I know that people coming up to us can be annoying sometimes, but it is important to acknowledge them and be real friendly. Its how the general public think of us that is important. I like to quickly explain to them the right way to go about detecting in parks and use the contact more as an educational experience for them. I don't wear head phones when coin detecting unless there is people close by as the sounds of targets may be annoying to them. If i get a tribe of kids come in i give them the pro pointer and let them be involved as this keeps me detecting and it makes me laugh at the sight of there faces when a coin comes out of the ground, especially a gold coin. If i really want to detect and area with out interruptions then answer is to night detect. Head torch on and way yah go. :)

I had a funny one the other day detecting in a park - a biker type fella approached us and didn't look to pleased... I took off my headphones and he said "You from the council?" I said no, I didn't think council workers were working on a Sunday morning... he looked at me funny at first and then said "yeah that is a good point" and went on his merry way... glad I wasn't a council worker!

Paulmarr said:
I had a funny one the other day detecting in a park - a biker type fella approached us and didn't look to pleased... I took off my headphones and he said "You from the council?" I said no, I didn't think council workers were working on a Sunday morning... he looked at me funny at first and then said "yeah that is a good point" and went on his merry way... glad I wasn't a council worker!

maybe you were getting close to the spot where he buried his guns and drugs ?

it wont surprise me if one day a detectorist digs up a bullet with a skull attached to it.

I have had the occasional smart ass comment like "Found any treasure yet." or "Found any Gold." One time a guy said that and i said. Yeh, mate i found a big chunky 14k ring just over there this morning. That wiped the smurk off his face. :)

I had some guy approach me once, did the usual 'Found anything yet?'. He looked quite sketchy but I still replied but with a 'Nothing yet'. He ask what I was looking for, told him old pre decimal coins. He asked if I ever found a 1930 penny, of course I said no but I would love to find one. He went on his way not long after. About an hour later he came back and produced a 1930 penny. It ended up being fake (looked the real deal to me!!), he told me he had 2 others but he sold them on eBay!!
I was glad when he left!

SF

Look at the bright side Silver_fox he could of buried one and you dig it up thinking your on a real winner. That reminds me of a bloke who sprayed painted a big chunk of quartz gold and chucked it over the Palmer River Bridge. I would of loved to see the face on the guy who dug that up. :D

lol, you are very right!!!

Glad he didn't bury one... :p

Roscoe said:
Look at the bright side Silver_fox he could of buried one and you dig it up thinking your on a real winner. That reminds me of a bloke who sprayed painted a big chunk of quartz gold and chucked it over the Palmer River Bridge. I would of loved to see the face on the guy who dug that up. :D

Lighten up boys, most people are just curious and when they see you deep in the bush want to make conversation to see if ur a friendly. Ive done it myself as a prospector, walking to a gold panner and I can see he's a bit funny with me walking towards him. Hes worried im gonna ask him all those stupid questions....and yep I do.....any colour in the pan....."not enuf to retire on"......its the secret code talk of prospectors. If they say anything else be suspicious!

Hahaha I know the feeling Heatho. Us good lookin guys with big metal detectors looking for rings, money and jewelery are just chick magnets. Just dont show them what we really got in our finds bag.

Was down at the beach the other day with the Garrett Sea Hunter & was digging a signal, which I was pretty sure was junk, but curiosity got the better of me, this guy comes along who was a local of many many years & said it might be treasure & could he dig for me, I said no it's probably junk, but he persisted, so I let him dig, 40cm & I hair grip later, off he went mumbling, I just cracked up.

yeah im not the biggest fan of beach detecting anymore due to the fact all i kept finding was a few bottle caps and a heap of condom packets =P

Latest posts