Strange Rock

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headbut

Paul
Reaction score
My pick found this stone , which cracked it in half ,in the gravel layer, that contained sapphires at Black Springs. Any ideas what it is. There is some magnatism to it.
1369222981_photo0102.jpg

Inside veiw
1369223059_photo0103.jpg

Hi HTY ,No , I have a rare earth magnet that would hold maybe 30lb , can make it spin, so there is some minor amount of iron , but cant hold it. There are also very small crystals inside.My thoughts are maybe a meteorite , has the right shape, looks like the space shuttle & has dimples like a golf ball , some iron, but not enough I think

Do a streak test on unglazed porcelain, ( bottom of a coffee mug usually does the job ) the majority of meteorites will not leave a streak.

DD

Aren't meteorite pieces supposed to be unusually light when you consider the objects relative physical size? I haven't actually ever held a piece of meteorite but I am told from people that have found pieces of Murchison meteorite locally that the pieces are substantially lighter in weight than what you would expect for a rock of that size. Not sure if that information applies to all meteorite pieces or at all but I thought it might be possibly be relevant .

Cheers
Adam

Hi guys,

Sorry to railroad this, but would anyone know what this is? My Grandma gave it to be on the weekend. She said that is was found in Beechworth Victoria. looks kinda cool so was curios to find out what it is.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Cheers
1369624896_photo.png
1369624938_photo-1.png

Looks very much like a smokey, especially coming from the Beechworth region. Could always have a R.I. (refractive index) test done at your nearest Lapidary Club.

Cheers Wal. :)

Yeah I'd have to agree that its most likely a quartz crystal, what looks like that blackish streak to the right side of the stone is also a bit of a hint at it being a smokey, I've got a few like that myself from up that way.

Adam

Sunglasses said:
cheers guys,

Can these stones be polished? or is it not really worth the hassle?

Sure can, I'd start saving all the small good looking coloured stones from your trips, till you get about a kilo or so. Look around for a second hand "Tumbler" and chuck them in. You'd be pleasantly surprised how good they look once polished.

Cheers Wal, :)

elbowgrease said:
Aren't meteorite pieces supposed to be unusually light when you consider the objects relative physical size? I haven't actually ever held a piece of meteorite but I am told from people that have found pieces of Murchison meteorite locally that the pieces are substantially lighter in weight than what you would expect for a rock of that size. Not sure if that information applies to all meteorite pieces or at all but I thought it might be possibly be relevant .

Cheers
Adam

Hi Adam , From what I have read & watched , on the "Meteorite Men" , the majority of meteorites are heavier than earth rocks , due to iron/nickel (Kamacite or Taenite) content . I have not see one that is lighter , but that doesn't mean they don't exist , cheers Paul

Latest posts