Strange find today while detecting.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got back from sussing out a couple of lesser known locations to see what the ground was like, decided to run my 4500 with the 15 evo spoke for the whole day, was picking up tiny bits of tin at good depth which really surprised me and a few bullets at up to 8" which I was happy with, said to me no one else has been through these old diggings with good detector/coil combo.

There was one location where a reef had been mined out on top of a hill and it had the blackest looking quartz I'd seen. I got a sweet signal on the edge of the mine and after digging down 14" I was into hard clay/quartz and getting pretty excited, dug down another 2" and target was out of the hole, by now I was soaked with sweat and shaking from all the digging and blow me down it turned out to be the base of a shot gun cartridge, at 16" deep, WTF??
Here's a photo of some of the quartz they mined.
1518248634_20180210_115815.jpg

Now onto my strange find.

I moved areas and headed out to the Harry Lauda mine and a few hundred meters short of HL mine was 2 flat areas on the side of the hill so I stopped the car and got out for a look, they appeared to be old building sites of some sort I imagine but no signs of the old buildings, just the 2 nice flat areas on the side of this hill.
When I started heading back down to my car I noticed what looked like some twisted rusty iron on the ground so I picked it up for a look and to my surprise it is what's left of an old hand gun just sun baking on top of the ground, I think it's the real deal judging by how heavy and thick the barrel is.
1518249193_20180210_185038.jpg

1518249232_20180210_181723.jpg

Well although no gold this trip I'm stoked to find the old gun and one thing I learnt today is when using the 15" coil you gotta dig big wide holes if you're going to pinpoint properly, think I'll take my pinpointer next time to make life easier as that 16" deep hole took 30 mins by the time I had to keep widening it to get the coil down, not fun :( .

The old pistol is a great find

I was out today near Fryerstown

No gold for me

Latest posts