Still having problems AT PRO

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavfromoz

Gav
Reaction score
I've tried once more to get the damn AT Pro set and working smoothly but regardless of how much I've played with the settings, I kept on getting beeps like I was in a morsecode rec room.

Every swing beeped, I increased the sensitivity, used the discrimination settings and even changed the frequency and also ground balanced it till my arm felt like it was about to fall off but still no luck.

Could someone please save me from myself? What was supposed to be a great day beach combing turned out to be a total disaster.

I've got the AT Pro since just before the Nundle trip but only managed to use it for about 10 minutes on the first go since arriving home. Just can't get those settings to work, even after reading through all the literature and viewing the online tutorials.

Regards
Mr Desperado

I'm with you Gav.
My At Pro constantly beeps and farts. So many pings I have little idea what is a real target and what is trash or less....
I guess we need to persist and work out what is a real target and what is trash.
Maybe record every targets number, soil type and depth etc.
We can help each other by posting results.
I am guilty if not recording the tone and number of each find.

Thanks mate, yeah we should do that. My beeps ranged from 16 through to 87, drive me nuts and the way it was beeping, I even think it was detecting me nuts lol

I might give Garrett a call sometime soon and see where there nearest branch/dealer is to me and see if they can help if I go there and take the beast with me. We're losing valuable time detecting the goodies in the parks and beaches for now. I'll let you know how I go.

Did you say you increased the sensitivity, you should be winding it back to cut down on the falsing and chatter. Wet beach sand + VLF's don't really mix, I couldn't ground balance my Vaquero at all in some areas, just had to reduce sensitivity, and run in discrimination mode, which seemed to work fine. Different detector, but same principles apply.

just one more thing to check,
check all leads connections, if its not tight it will give off a signal at the end of each swing, and false targets
it may also be the wire its self
take it to a shop and get them to check over it for this and a small kink in the wire or a broken wire can often lead to problems

G'day gavfromoz, I had the same problem with my at pro and it kept falsing with every swing. My detector shaft was loose and kept moving when in use so I bought a shaft lock on ebay and have never had another problem.

Are you ground balancing your at pro manually?
cheers Rob

Hi guys,

That was meant to say decreased sensitivity, sorry about that :D

I've checked all leads, shaft and everything that I could have but same result. I will be giving Garrett a call later today or tomorrow and getting it sorted.

Yes Rob, I've been manually GB all along as it was singing to me each time I brushed up against grass etc as well.

Thanks for all the tips, much appreciated :)

Must be a Garrett thing, my infinium that I recently bought has the same issue with continually falsing Hi/Lo tones, have checked everything that I could possibly find on all the forums. :rolleyes:

Goldpick said:
Must be a Garrett thing, my infinium that I recently bought has the same issue with continually falsing Hi/Lo tones, have checked everything that I could possibly find on all the forums. :rolleyes:

Hey Goldpick,

Try wrapping the coil cable a bit tighter up the shaft, Infiniums are famous for it also if you bump the cable it can give off a signal mine did ;)

Cheers

C&L

See what Garrett think about it Gav, but it might be worth trying another coil if you can get your hands on one. Also try resetting the unit as per the manual and getting yourself some high quality batteries (a different brand to what you're currently using).

If you're still having the issues come the Nundle trip I'll take a look at it for you.

Thanks Nugget, appreciate that.

I'll give them a call tomorrow, today was totally crazy and I'll let you all know the outcome.

I was still using the Energizer batteries which came with it but I do have some rechargeable 4600 Ni-Mh batteries, might give them a try as well.

Colin&Lee said:
Goldpick said:

Hey Goldpick,

Try wrapping the coil cable a bit tighter up the shaft, Infiniums are famous for it also if you bump the cable it can give off a signal mine did ;)

Cheers

C&L

Been there, done that! ;) I have emailed Garrett for a diagnosis. Really want to get this thing working as it should. 8.(

Might be an issue with a dry solder on the board, or so I've heard, might be the same case for the AT?? Going to contact Phil Stearnes to see if he can help out despite not being a garrett dealer anymore, before dealing with garrett oz.

I've just sent off an assistance request to Garrett USA and asking them to point me i the right direction regarding a local dealer in order to take it to them to check.

Now to wait for their reply.

gavfromoz said:
I've just sent off an assistance request to Garrett USA and asking them to point me i the right direction regarding a local dealer in order to take it to them to check.

Now to wait for their reply.

good luck mate
hope everything works out for you

Latest posts