Stay safe on the roads

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday I almost became a statistic because of a idiotic act from another road user that was to impatient to wait 10 seconds for a clear part of the road to overtake instead of overtaking 50m from a blind crest. Thankfully it was a car that came over the crest not a truck and that my breaks on my statesmen work so well (the cost of the brake upgrades I installed paid for themselves thousand fold). Please be patient on the road and be wary of other road users saving a few minutes isnt worth your or anyone elses lives

We had 2 Tippers and trailers go through a red light the other day, Red for 15 seconds.... Lucky I saw them coming and let them through, but the idiot behind me went to go around me and if he succeeded He would have been killed... The look on his face was a classic.... Don't think he will try that again... :mad:

Our Angle was watching over us twice now... O:)

Mrs wolf and myself had a big one near Coffs.... One small dent in my car resulted in 3 killed. (not my fault)... You never know what is round the corner...
never been back to coffs since.... :brokenh: :flowers:

LW.....

Should be compulsory Manpa.

I took my daughter to Mt Cotton up here where they do driver training and she was surprised just how easy it is to loose control...To the extent she still hasn't got her Licence yet...
Warren Luff was her Trainer....

Wouldn't have made a difference in my situation tho... The Driver at fault was 73yo..

LW....

Theduke said:
Yesterday I almost became a statistic because of a idiotic act from another road user that was to impatient to wait 10 seconds for a clear part of the road to overtake instead of overtaking 50m from a blind crest. Thankfully it was a car that came over the crest not a truck and that my breaks on my statesmen work so well (the cost of the brake upgrades I installed paid for themselves thousand fold). Please be patient on the road and be wary of other road users saving a few minutes isnt worth your or anyone elses lives
Lucky man. There are some people out there that think their indestructible.
What model Statesman do you have and what was the brake upgrade. I've got an old WK v8.

I probably did over a million kms on the road for work, saw one rollover take place, one rear ender in the lane next me and probably the aftermath of countless others. I am staggered by the lack of patience on the road and just some of the dumb shit people do in what is effectively a ton plus weapon.
Some defensive driving training should be an option for all learners, give them the choice wether they do a course, if they do credit the cost against the cost of their licence or registration as an incentive.

Wishfull said:
Theduke said:
Lucky man. There are some people out there that think their indestructible.
What model Statesman do you have and what was the brake upgrade. I've got an old WK v8.

Have a wm, I went drilled and slotted rotars 330 rear and 350 front not sure about the pads but they were half the cost

Manpa said:
I probably did over a million kms on the road for work, saw one rollover take place, one rear ender in the lane next me and probably the aftermath of countless others. I am staggered by the lack of patience on the road and just some of the dumb shite people do in what is effectively a ton plus weapon.
Some defensive driving training should be an option for all learners, give them the choice wether they do a course, if they do credit the cost against the cost of their licence or registration as an incentive.

Whilst a DD course would be good for most people i don't think it will change the stupid ones that think they are indestructible. May even make them drive worse.

maybe showing learners the aftermath of some bad accidents would make them think differently.

Dumb drivers come in many guises beit the knuckle heads who over take in dangerous situations and the ones who are completely oblivious to others around them and I could go on :( I've racked up over 70k km since June last year and struggle daily either in the city or on the open road I'm amazed at the speed some do either too fast and then there's the other lot who can't match the speed of the traffic whether in volume or not. I treat everyone the same no matter where or what I'm driving and keep a safe distance as much as possible (impossible in the city).

My biggest problem these days is are the ones drifting all over the joint using their phone :mad: I've even witnessed people using tablets on the steering wheel watching some BS episode of what they missed the night before :8 :mad: while in heavy traffic on the freeways in morning peak hour ffs.

Hard Luck said:
Manpa said:
I probably did over a million kms on the road for work, saw one rollover take place, one rear ender in the lane next me and probably the aftermath of countless others. I am staggered by the lack of patience on the road and just some of the dumb shite people do in what is effectively a ton plus weapon.

Whilst a DD course would be good for most people i don't think it will change the stupid ones that think they are indestructible. May even make them drive worse.

maybe showing learners the aftermath of some bad accidents would make them think differently.
Maybe do a month on an Ambulance or on SES/CFS X3 months.

With you on the phone thing RM. Every time I head to the GT Im amazed at the amount of people on the freeway with the head down looking at a device. Can generally pick em before passing as there nearly always speeding up then slowing down with a bit of swerving thrown in. Time for penaltys the same as drink driving for using devices while driving. Most of the ones Ive seen are probably less aware of whats going on around them.

Hear you there Smoky, my daily rider was a 600 ninja for a while when I was living in QLD. The number of times I got sorry I didnt see you was rediculous. Stop and look doesnt seem to be a thing with some people but a blast of a 149db airhorn makes them rethink what theyre doing

Bjay said:
With you on the phone thing RM. Every time I head to the GT Im amazed at the amount of people on the freeway with the head down looking at a device. Can generally pick em before passing as there nearly always speeding up then slowing down with a bit of swerving thrown in. Time for penaltys the same as drink driving for using devices while driving. Most of the ones Ive seen are probably less aware of whats going on around them.
I sit waiting for my daughter at one of the local high schools and in 20 minutes I can spot up to 10 or so people driving through the school zone whilst on the phone including some of the students on red "P"s.Mind you there is 1000 odd kids at this school and there is no crossing so some of the kids are darting out in between cars to get to their parents parked on the other side of the road.Accident waiting to happen.Have mentioned this to local cops but they said as soon as people see the marked car they put the phone down.So sit there in the unmarked car then.Totally agree with Bjay on the penalties like drink driving for using devices.Apparently during a trial of the cameras that detect people on phones while driving on one of the freeways in Sydney,in 2 or 3 hours they caught 25,000+ drivers on phones.All received a caution. :N: :N: :N:

Smoky bandit said:
Try riding a motorbike .......Everyones out to run you over....Either accidentally or on purpose :8

I don't ride a bike on the road but do understand where your coming from, the constant anticipation riding a bike is no different to driving any other vehicle imo. Treat everyone as a threat until they display their recognition of you. A week or two ago a young bloke was killed in an accident caused by himself lane splitting and just two days later I had a bike split between my truck and the car at my right rear while in heavy traffic travelling at 100kmh. I don't doubt there are more dangers posed to bike riders imo it's a given due to the size of bikes as far as visibility and seeing them it's a challenge when a rider has no respect for other road users. And I've even seen riders texting in traffic. All road users need to be mindful of their surroundings and others.

try riding a horse down a road (where there's no other option).
really get to see how ignorant lots of drivers are. many or most people don't even know that the horse has right-of-way (in WA at least).
cop verbal abuse, revving engine, horn, or all together. especially when crossing a bridge. The horse & rider are allowed to walk down the middle of the bridge & by law cars are supposed to stop & wait at either end ... but many don't!

RM Outback said:
Smoky bandit said:
Try riding a motorbike .......Everyones out to run you over....Either accidentally or on purpose :8

I don't ride a bike on the road but do understand where your coming from, the constant anticipation riding a bike is no different to driving any other vehicle imo. Treat everyone as a threat until they display their recognition of you. A week or two ago a young bloke was killed in an accident caused by himself lane splitting and just two days later I had a bike split between my truck and the car at my right rear while in heavy traffic travelling at 100kmh. I don't doubt there are more dangers posed to bike riders imo it's a given due to the size of bikes as far as visibility and seeing them it's a challenge when a rider has no respect for other road users. And I've even seen riders texting in traffic. All road users need to be mindful of their surroundings and others.
I hear ya mate.
I've been on a bike every day for the last 30 yrs and all these new blokes are just .Tempery Australians as I call them. This Q.ride should be banned.. :N: :N:

Latest posts