Spray Bars for Highbankers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twapster

Peter
Reaction score
Ok guys, im all pumped up, banker ready, lay flat purchased......spray bar time. Need to get it done before Nundle. (Single bar across box)

Here's what i'm thinking.....tape the bar with white tape to make a guide for the angle grinder.....thinnest size to cut a nice thin slit....and maybe 1cm apart over the 30 odd cm of header box. Then all of a sudden cousin says "make the first slots smaller and the end slots bigger, as it looses pressure you need bigger slots.

I'm now worried. Im preferring slots over holes as I want water volume not "spray" wacking the gold down my sluice.

Anyone got any opinions?

Peter

Twapster the bad news is not much water in the river, good news, there's supposed to be showers Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. :/

Twapster said:
Ok guys, im all pumped up, banker ready, lay flat purchased......spray bar time. Need to get it done before Nundle. (Single bar across box)

Here's what i'm thinking.....tape the bar with white tape to make a guide for the angle grinder.....thinnest size to cut a nice thin slit....and maybe 1cm apart over the 30 odd cm of header box. Then all of a sudden cousin says "make the first slots smaller and the end slots bigger, as it looses pressure you need bigger slots.

I'm now worried. Im preferring slots over holes as I want water volume not "spray" wacking the gold down my sluice.

Anyone got any opinions?

Peter

I used an angle grinder with metal cutting disk in my bar. It is 1 1/4 inch pipe.
Cut the slots on an angle toward the inside of the box, no use in spraying the side of your hopper.

Your mate would be right if you had a very weak pump or very wide cuts.
If you do cuts every 20mm it will be sweet.
Good luck.
Reeko

If you have access to a mitre saw, you can make accurate and equal size holes each time in the spray bar. Wal talks about this in his Walbanker instructions.
If you cut slots only the size of a metal cutting disc on a grinder, they may clog up, whereas a mirte saw blade is wide enough to avoid having to clean out the spray bar as often

mate depends what ground your working I carry two different cuts onevwith wide cuts for river material and one with fine cuts for clay demolition. keep your cuts under 1/2 of the pipe diameter so your pipe doesnt slit or bow and you wont get washed with back spray.

Twapster said:

Anyone got any opinions?

Peter

G'day Pete,

I run 13 slots at 2cm intervals with a slot width of 13mm. I run a section of 25mm masking tape along the pipe and mark the two edges of the sluice so as to direct all the water onto the sluice only and not the sloped hopper.

After marking the sluice edge, i mark the 2cm guides and cut to the edges of the masking tape with a drop saw. You do lose a bit of pressure across the spray bar, but equal slots will work the best overall.

Cheers Wal.

Latest posts