Southern highlands NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuskus

Marcus
Reaction score
Hi guys I want to do some exploring around the southern highlands in nsw, the ground there looks amazing, heaps of iron stone and I have access to privet property.

dose anyone know of gold in this area?

Cheers. :D

There is gold in the Southern Highlands, it's a big area though, if you can be more specific, not the actual property but general area I'm sure you will get your answer. There are Sapphires also depending on the area your digging in.

Only real way though is test panning the creeks and other sampling to see if there is any colour at all in your spot.

Good luck, hope you get some there.

There is a fairly broad line of gold bearing reefs and gravels which extend from Cowra Creek north of Cooma, through to the Big Baja, Little Badja and Numeralla Rivers. This band then follows the ranges south the Nimitabel and becomes quite rich again the closer you get to Bombala / Bibbenluke.

The area between here and Delegate has numerous gold bearing creeks and can surprise many if you put in some ground work and research. Most who fossick theses areas keep their information under their belts, as they haven't had the hammering of the more well known areas, and they like to keep it that way.

You will never find someone putting an "X" on the ground here, but the gold is certainly there for those who seek.

Wal.

Thanks heaps guys, this place keeps amazing me with all the info people are willing to share.

The property is in canyonleigh, think I'm gunna head down and have a little look around, found some really nice bed rock exposed in a creek and might walk all 240 acres of my mate property. :/

Hey Kuskus

I know this is a rather old thread...but did you get down to Canyonleigh, NSW in the end?

I'm thinking of heading that way with the family for a Stayz farmstay next weekend. The property has creeks, a gorge and a river on their borders with a State Park. It looks vaguely decent geologically for some detecting, but was wondering if you had fun down there on your friend's property in the end?

Red

Hey mate yeah was down there but was a wedding so didn't get the pan out but had a little look around and I think it's worth a scratch, noticed sum really red ground and lots of bed rock through the creeks and quarts as well.

Give it a go if you have sum time, you never know you might find a honey hole. If I don't hear back from ya on here I'll know you hit the big one lol.

Good luck champ

Plenty of gold at Bungonia area, just got to find somewhere where it hasn't been flogged to death or go straight after a flood. There is some interesting looking areas around Bullio along the Wombeyan Caves road. Near were Woolondilly River meets Wigecarribee River, Haworth Creek, Tallygang Creek area. Haven't been out there yet but will be interested to see what's out there in the way of gold and gems. You also have the Shoalhaven river running through the area as well.

Cracka.

Hi All

Thanks for the messages. Just back from Canyonleigh. Whilst the Devonian and sedimentary rocks occur around Big Hill and the Wollondilly River offered a long shot, I couldn't find any access or Crown Land to explore. Then it started to pour for 36 hours and washed me away.

No sign of quartz, and whilst that of course doesn't always indicate gold-bearing seams, the geology didn't look too promising visually. I guess the best options in that neck of the woods are trying to get into the Shoalhaven Valley south of the Hume Highway, and Taralga to the north.

Red

mate the gold is in water board areas no go you need access to property in Berrima the government have been making sure there are no places to fossick here it had a big history of gold and sapphires and diamonds but we are the source of water for Sydney never heard of gold at canyonleigh what I have heard of gold here is spotty and not consistent :)

Latest posts