SOUTH COAST PROSPECTING!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day everyone!
I'm a prospector based on the south coast. I've been content with picking up rocks for ages, but after a recent trip to the shoalhaven, I have unfortunately caught the infamous gold fever once again! I've already acquired a couple of little river sluices and a few pans. If anyone knows of any good places for a bit of a pan/sluice within an hour or so of Batemans Bay, please let me know. I haven't been able to find a river as generous as the shoalhaven yet but I'm sure there are a few around. I'm also considering investing in a detector, is it really all about the GPX? If so would it be worth getting something as dated as a 4000? If all of this has been covered please direct me to a prior link in regards to these topics. Anyway, thanks heaps guys and girls. Happy digging, NUGS.
Below is just one of my many boxes, I love rocks.
1486609670_dsc_6851.jpg

Gday and thank your marksman, its good to be here. I have been following this blog for a while now, and am really excited to join. Cant wait to learn more about one of Australia's oldest pastimes, diggin holes ;)

Welcome Nugs :eek: Are you going to show us what's in that golden bag of nuggets :D :rolleyes:
Some nice looking crystals in there 8)

Sorry about the false advertising there B5MECH, just more shiny rocks, Amethyst, smokey, Citrine, and a clear shard of tourmalinated quartz. I was hoping that by joining one of you guys might be able to help me fill it with the good stuff ;)
1486612841_dsc_6862.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: Where can I get one of those bags? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joining this forum you'll need a bigger bag soon ;) and lots of them :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice variety, you'll have to add some local sapphires to it :cool:

Thanks heaps JAROS, I'd be pleased to hear from him :p lets see if I can track him down. I see you're in QLD, lucky man, you guys have some great rocks up there.

Hey B5MECH the bags are full of bubble gum when you get them, tip the gum out and you have you self a perfectly good stash bag. I guess the gums ok, looses flavour quicker than juicyfruit though. The only times I have ever found them is on a rare occasion at a random IGA. I just tried to send a link but it wouldn't work, just try eBay ''gold nugget gum''. As for sapphire I have just been through a bag of sapphire wash from Detector Den in Batemans Bay. I found a few bits and pieces, one standing out in particular. So if any one feels like looking for sapphires at home head down to Detector Den. My misses is quite fond of sapphire, its also her birth stone, so any info on places other than Weejasper would be appreciated, please let me know. Cheers, NUGS.

Nugs Money...nice crystals...

You asked about detectors...and particularly the 4K.

I still to this day run a 4K....yes the 45 & 5K offer further adjustment with a few added features, but the 4K is still a competent Gold finder...

I have found bits as small as 0.04g 1" deep with an 11" mono (ML's) and many sub gram bits to 4-5" deep in variable ground, some hot.

For river work, and i'm led to believe more benign ground than the GT... you could easily look at waterproof VLF's....i will leave that to more versed with the platform (I'm a PI guy and haven't followed any innovation in VLF) to advise upon.

It comes down to what you hope to do with the detector, rather than which stable it comes from,....that will be narrowed by your usage requirements....

Remember, there is no 'one' do-it-all detector, and your approach to the hobby will dictate your 'needs'.

Good luck on the new journey and look forward to reading your progress/success.

Gypsy

Thank you Gypsy. I appreciate your response, it has given me a few things to think about. One thing I haven't got my head around is how you can lose big gold when looking for little gold and vice versa, I guess this is when being experienced and knowledgeable about the area will help tune up the detector. Being new to the game I am drawn to to gpx, although i don't know how one is different than the other (in terms of coins, gold, wet, dry etc.) Its what I see most people using, and thats gotta be for a reason other than advertising ;) I think I will mostly concentrate on old mullock heaps/wash, dry rivers and surrounding areas and hopefully one day get out to the red dirt. Is this what you meant by '' what you hope to do with the detector ''? I am more into the gold side of things than the relic side of things, although old coins etc are cool as. Any tips on buying 2nd hand detectors? Should I stay away from mods? Thanks again for your post, hopefully I have some success to share in the not so distant future ;) NUGS.

When looking for little gold, it's generally on shallow ground, or near the surface, and 'small' coils are used to hunt for it (research comes in here).

Larger nuggets not always, but usually, in deeper ground and need a bigger coil to transmit the signal to capture them..each coil have their 'sweet spot' of detection, both in depth, and target size...though many times will surprise you just how good they can be.

As for the GPX models...they are ALL Gold detectors (per se) whereas the ML X-Terra is their coin/relic range...hope that helps.

Buying used....Detector stores (bit dearer but provide warranty)...

or...a trusted member off a forum like here....

I'd avoid a "mod" myself, only as i am not qualified to fix what ML won't, once they have been....

Good Luck & Cheers
Gypsy

Absolute legend Gypsy, very clear and concise, now to go do some research on coils, and everything else.. Thanks again for your posts, all the very best. Cheers n beers, NUGS.

B5MECH said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Where can I get one of those bags? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joining this forum you'll need a bigger bag soon ;) and lots of them :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice variety, you'll have to add some local sapphires to it :cool:

The lolly shop just off the main drag in Kiama sells them.

Might just have to do a bit of a detour and stock up next time were cruising through that way ;). Ive been meaning to go to the blue mountains for some time and have a bit of a dig, it looks like there could be some nice smokey quarts to be had out that way. Has any one else heard the same?

Hi Nugs,
I am down here in Tathra as you can see.
A 4000 is a very capable machine and if you
are ready to put a few hours in at Mogo,
You may be a bit surprised in around the spent Ammo. LOL
Good to see another person a bit closer to home.
Let me know how you go.

Tathradj! G'day boss, I've got my eye on a 4000 on gumtree. I'm thinking about having a little look, but might go talk to detector den first and see whats going on there? When I finally invest I will be sure to let you know. It would great if I could tag along with you one day and maybe learn which end of the detector to point at the ground etc ;) You ever pan around the rivers just north of you? I had a bit of a poke around Buckenbowra and the Deua with very little success, like one fly spec per bucket. I'm sure its around just curious as to whether I should invest time into other rivers instead, any tips there? Thanks, hopefully catch you in the future. NUGS.

Latest posts