South Australian prospectors (or should I say fossickers?)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitey1987

Jesse
Reaction score
Just want to know how many of us South Aussie water prospectors are out there that actually try their luck in our state?

Whereabouts in SA are you whitey1987? We have a few SA users on here but the majority are from the east coast.

Regarding Prospectors vs Fossickers, they're much the same thing really. Take a look at these quotes from Wikipedia as an example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prospecting said:
Prospecting is the first stage of the territory geological analysis (second - exploration): physical search for minerals, fossils, precious metals or mineral specimens, and is also known as fossicking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossicking said:
Fossicking is a term found in Cornwall, Australia and New Zealand referring to prospecting, especially in more recent times, when carried out as a recreational activity.

Hi Whitey,

I'm in SA but right down the bottom in Mt Gambier , 5 hrs from Radelaide! Since I am on the limestone coast there is zero gold down my way so I always have to go over to Vic, mainly Ararat whenever the gold fever strikes.

Cheers,
Matt

Im from the Riverland. No gold here but im only 2.5 hrs away from the Adelaide hills so started my prospecting there. I know we are not as gold rich as the other states but thought if I can find gold here it will make it that bit simpler elsewhere. Interested to know what others have found around the hills area. We are quite restricted to where and what we can do here but I know there is gold in them thar hills.

The "or should I say fossickers" in the title is because to the SA government consider prospecting as to gain financial gain from minerals found which always remain to the crown or some nonsense lol

whitey1987 said:
The "or should I say fossickers" in the title is because to the SA government consider prospecting as to gain financial gain from minerals found which always remain to the crown or some nonsense lol

Ah I see ;)

I'm from Adelaide, don't do much water prospecting for gold due to to lack of water most of the year, winter is best when some of the small streams start flowing at Mount Crawford (when the ground is saturated). I don't owm any gold detectors anymore, other than the Infinium, mainly as I stick to the beach and park, as you are nearly always guaranteed of finding something, which is ultimately more satisfying than looking more near on nom-existant gold in the known fossicking areas.

True about the SA fossicking legislation, very backwards, and just an easy way for the Govt to manage resources by locking up fossicking to only a couple of well used areas. You are probably more likely to find gold on the beach these days than at the hills fossicking areas, and more of it too. :/

Water is definitely a problem here for the most part of the year but the biggest hurdle is lack of areas deemed available for prospecting

Im from adelaide originally and im going there for easter, i plan on doing some fossicking around mt crawford and kuitpo forest. (need permits of course unfortunately.)

did my first ever panning from buckets of dirt i collected from mt crawford. back when i had no idea what i was doing. i filled about 3 buckets of random dirt took it home and managed to find about 5 tiny flakes.

Now im more knowledgeable on the subject i hope to get more.

The first little roadside stream I went to last winter at mt crawford, it produce a few flakes with the first load of wash, I used my concentrator bucket, then panned off the resultant concentrate. Certainly a lot of hard yakka just to produce such a small amount, but gold all the same. That was from near the entrance off the Gumeracha road at the end of Forties road vs the Williamstown side.

It certainly was a lot of hard yakka for me to find my first couple specks of gold but it was my first time ever panning after only learning to do it earlier that day from youtube videos. I was still pretty wrapped to find my first colour... unfortunately i hit the container i put them in off the wall in the backyard and only managed to find 1 piece that stuck to the container haha. oh well.

I'm from Adelaide, and looking for someone to tag along with for fossicking. Not found anything yet, but trying...............

Cheers,
Paul

paul-mac i live only a couple mins from town and on the sporting tip bro, i found a few fifty's & hundreds' with no effort at all realy 2nd pan first day self educating lol i will hone in and progress without doubt, panning in town almost lol (secret spot) 2grams of 100's & 50's in next to no time or effort im keen to take this up formaly lets hook up for a beer or cuppa mate theres work to do if ya serious

I'm in Adelaide and only 20 mins from mount crawford,spent a lot of time there but only found gold panning in the creeks always keen for a meet up:)

I'm ready when you are guys, I'm off work til next Wednesday. I live in Eden hills. If you guys want to make some plans and show me how it's done, I'll be there
Thanks for the replies.
Paul

paul_mac1 said:
I'm from Adelaide, and looking for someone to tag along with for fossicking. Not found anything yet, but trying...............

Cheers,
Paul
Hi Paul. I'm in Adelaide,have a minelab gpx5000 and a 4wd. I'm keen to go yet have much to learn, especially locations in the Adelaide region.

Hi Rick,
Yes I know what you mean about the locations.........been to Birdwood and found nothing, been to Mount Crawford and found nothing, been to Echunga and found nothing and I've been to The Flinders Ranges and found copper sulphate.....well its better than nothing! Hahaha! I'm trying to bribe the Mrs into me getting either an infinium or a whites sierra pulse pro, hopefully I'll have more luck than going in blind like I am at the moment. :mad:

Latest posts