Some homework

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XIV

Kane
Reaction score
So, for those that know, and now those who are just finding out,.
I have some homework for you all to help me out.
We start filming in a few weeks for a new tv show.

I need the major facts for these areas i.e. when the rush hit, biggest nugget, population during the rush and living conditions.

Ballarat

Bendigo

Kalgoorlie, WA

Perth, WA

Hill End, NSW

Jupiters Creek, SA.

I figure, some of you will know these areas, and probably will know the history.

Thanks Kane.

Kane what is the show you are doing and what will it be called?

I have some info on Kalgoorlie for you

The population of the town was 2,018 (1,516 males and 502 females) in 1898
In 1901, the population of Kalgoorlie was 4,793 (3,087 males and 1,706 females) which increased to 6,790 (3,904 males and 2,886 females) by 1903.

The largest nugget found is the Normandy it was found near Kalgoorlie in 1995, the 25.5kg (819 troy oz) specimen is the second largest nugget in the world today having escaped being melted down, and is the 26th largest gold nugget ever discovered.

People may correct me if I am wrong on that.

Copy and pasted

Gold was first discovered in Ballarat on the rise above Canadian Creek at the base of Poverty Point aka Golden Point in late August (21-24th) 1851. Reports in the Geelong Advertiser instigated the first rush to the Ballarat Diggings.

Biggest nugget was The welcome
Found june 9th 1858
Weight 68.2kg

shakergt said:
Kane what is the show you are doing and what will it be called?

I have some info on Kalgoorlie for you

The population of the town was 2,018 (1,516 males and 502 females) in 1898
In 1901, the population of Kalgoorlie was 4,793 (3,087 males and 1,706 females) which increased to 6,790 (3,904 males and 2,886 females) by 1903.

The largest nugget found is the Normandy it was found near Kalgoorlie in 1995, the 25.5kg (819 troy oz) specimen is the second largest nugget in the world today having escaped being melted down, and is the 26th largest gold nugget ever discovered.

People may correct me if I am wrong on that.

The show will be called,
The Weekend Prospector.
It will be on 7mate later in the year.

LoneWolf said:
What :eek: No Coffs Harbour with it's Football size Nuggets.... And 6oz to the Pan... All in previous times..... :lol:

LW....

No bud. Sorry
We are only doing 8 episodes as a pilot season.
If it takes off, then we will be doing much more traveling.
So who knows where we will be next year

Hill End NSW
when the rush hit: Tambaroora was established only a few weeks after the original goldfield at Ophir. First rush was Golden Gully, Tambaroora in 1851. About 1858 reef mining rush at Hawkins Hill, Hill End. The next big rush hit around 1869-1872 (known as the Golden Era) with Hill End taking over from Tambaroora as the main area. This was short lived with numbers dwindling again by 1873.

biggest nugget: While not technically a nugget the Beyers & Holtermann specimen contained around 3000 ounces of gold. It's still the single biggest mass of gold ever found. Records indicate bigger masses were found at Hill End but broken up to transport from underground so never bettered the Beyers & Holtermann specimen for single mass.

population during the rush: Estimated at 30,000 at its peak by some (assume whole area from south at Chambers Creek to north at Green Valley). Others say 8000 so this may be the figure for Hill End/Tambaroora only?

living conditions: up to 51 pubs/hotels; 8 churches; 5 schools; 4 brickworks; 3 newspapers; 1.5km of commercial buildings; Good services for the population but in general the living conditions, like other goldfields, though was harsh - at best bark slab huts. Hill End was & still is freezing in winter then can get very hot in summer.

thanks for all the replys
It has helped greatly
Cheers Kane

XIV said:
So, for those that know, and now those who are just finding out,.
I have some homework for you all to help me out.
We start filming in a few weeks for a new tv show.
I need the major facts for these areas i.e. when the rush hit, biggest nugget, population during the rush and living conditions.

Ballarat

Bendigo

Kalgoorlie, WA

Perth, WA

Hill End, NSW

Jupiters Creek, SA.

I figure, some of you will know these areas, and probably will know the history.
Thanks Kane.

Perth's the odd man out in your list - it isn't on or near a goldfield. The gold here is only in the Mint and the pockets of prospectors returning from the inland goldfields. Coolgardie is the key WA goldfield that really kicked off the state's big 1890's goldrush.

Latest posts