Sofala or Hill End

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vic

Reaction score
Thinking of trying my luck next week for a detect for that shinny stuff so my question is as I have never detected at Sofala or that way at all. So would it be possible for someone point me in the right direction if possible.

G'day

they're both well tried and popular areas but still give up a bit of gold if you put in the effort. Up river from Sofala are a couple of camping spots and patches of crown land but can be confussing as to what's legal or not the first time you visit. If you have the time try to get hold of the Doug Stone maps of the area, saves a lot of guessing.
Downstream of Sofala most of the crown land is just a strip either side of the river.
South of Sofala is Wattle Flat which has a big common that still gives up small gold but has tonnes of trash to work through to get a result.
Hill End/Tambaroora has heaps of public land and though well flogged still has areas with potential, you just have to go slow, low and dig everything. Most bits are sub grammers but the odd nice slug still gets found
I'd suggest Hill End

Cheers

Chimpy

Thanks Chimpy, I'll try and find these maps your talking about any ideas where to get them from?

Hi guys just looked at the map, so how do you know what's private land and state crown? Where do I try?
So I stick it in 4x4 and drive into somewhere like Nuggety gulley and it's all good?

I spent a couple of weeks along the Turon searching for gold. I found nothing compared with my averages in WA, I wont go there again, but I will tell you where i got it. If any forum members get gold at these spots, send me some photos. Wattle flat heritage park is 5 km from Sofala, got several small bits near the first sign at the turn. I walked the "Bells creek track" and found small bits in the second major gully from the carpark. I did not go any further along the track but my original goal was to hike to upper Bells creek, there is no vehicle access. I also found one small specie at surface hill (upper Oakey creek) which is accessed from Wattle flat. 1 small bit on the top of the hill on the southern side of the creek of "Wallaby rocks" Nothing found at hill end after 1 week

Bells creek is where the largest bits came from (I think 2 over 300oz bits). upper Bells is a good target!! trust me

Mr Boring said:
Bells creek is where the largest bits came from (I think 2 over 300oz bits). upper Bells is a good target!! trust me

It's also on private property !
How many photos do you want mr boring
From all you've mentioned :)

But it's not like wa :D
And you have to spend a lot of time on the ground to do well
But it's possible :)

On the Sofala side of the river and on the road to Mudgee (i think?) At the top of the hill and due west is Razorback ridge. I never got none there but I've heard its up there. Not so much rubbish on that side either

Thanks for the PM Lbg, nice pics, You should post them here. Loverly yellow, I love that climate on the Turon as well. Beautiful in summer, big trout in the water! Big pigs along there, had a couple of midnight encounters!

The pigs have only been thick the last few years :)
The Turon is a great spot .
I post enough pics
just to keep the newbies interested :)

theres a guy on YouTube who has posted heaps of detecting videos on the Mudgee area. Seems like he does well. Just type "Mudgee gold" on YouTube. Very interesting

I've gone to Tudon river from Sydney, no luck either; only dug from some old trees lot of it are private land and the place looks like its been upside down LoL no joke, some body even left a few buckets behind.. hehe never go there again

Turon is many KM long so its all about getting to the better spots, and its sometimes about digging a fair distance down to get to a pay streak in some areas. I've seen spots that require digging down to waist deep before the gold starts to appear. All of a sudden you can be picking up several grams. Unfortunately its sometimes in a band of about 1 foot, go down further and nothing again!

Latest posts