So happy !

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystyk59

Bill
Reaction score
WE were going to give it a miss last night,I had only 3 hrs sleep the night before so about 6.30 the tiredness hit and i said to the other half i was going to have a poppy nap for a couple of hours and then get up for a feed and watch a bit of telly then an early night. 7.30 she wakes me up to say i had a txt message. Dale "wanna go bush be there in 20 mins ". From asleep to ready to go in 15 mins ! It was nearly 9 by the time we got there and we decided to try a little patch that has been flogged. We have had a couple of bits there before. There was lightning in the distance and the emi is a pain there, Railway line nearby, and mineralised ! So gain down to 8 and motion very slow, sensitve smooth .20 mins in Dale had found a little one. Then i got a faint little woo woo. Wasnt sure at first. But yep the faint sound of a signal. scratched away and still there, when i started digging it was hard ground and hadnt been disturbed. after the hole got to 3 inches i was getting excited the signal was loud now but not screaming, Told Dale i reckon i got a big un here, he came over with his 5000 and his 8" commander mono. Yep sounds like a good one. Widened the hole so as not to damage the nugget. got down to 6 inches and screaming at me now. Then it was out of the hole. A couple of handfuls later i was holding it.I looked in my hand and there was a squarish lump covered with clay and dirt, yes gotta go 5-6 grams at least , waved the lump over Dales coil , "nah" I said "Dont mess about !" (censored version). "No serious mate". Trained our lamps on my hand and there it was , a little glitter of colour, a small .3 nugget :( The adrenaline rush disappeared quicker than a scotsman when its his round. Then i started to feel happy for a couple of reasons 1) Its another of our little patches in the designated fossicking area so has been getting hammered by locals and tourists for years and still does. 2) It meant i had my 4000 set just perfect and i was in sync with my machine And most of all 3) It means i have finally got my ears tuned to pick up the small signals that i used to miss and THATS the greatest weapon in the hunt for the yellow! Given the conditions with lots of false signals from the lightning in the distance,the emi etc i am very pleased with my self. :) i was using a 11" commander mono and my rooster booster. :cool:

That's awesome mate, throw some pics up for us all to drool over :p

Sorry mate, I'm on my mobile and read it as being a 3 gramer :8, your story makes a little more sense now, I was wondering why you were so disappointed over a 3 gram nugget :lol:

Great to see that even though you were half asleep you didn't need much convincing when Dale decides to go bush...(he prob had a good 8 hrs sleep) ;). Sorry you didn't need Dale to help you carry the nugget back to the car :( .Like we all know ...It's not the size of the nugget that counts....It's the experience and the company that's remembered long after the nugget gets lost in the jar. I'm sure you'll stub your toe on a big one.....one of these nights. :) Cheers Wal. :)

Thanks guys. And like i said its more the fact i feel i have got it all together now, it takes time to get to know and feel comfortable with your machine and to correctly decipher the signals you get. And even if i come home with only one little bit thats one little bit more. As Jonathon Porter says look after the little bits and the big bits will come along. I know that at least 90% of what i find will be sub grammers !( Unless i find that special patch ;) ) Just wish the other 10% would hurry up haha.I think the moral of the story is aimed more at the members who are brand new to detecting.That is Dont be too disappointed if all you find are little tiny bits , the fact that you are finding them is a triumph in itself and it means that you are doing everything right ! Anyone can find a huge 20 oz piece if they happen to be in the right place but its harder to find a little 0.2 piece. So if you find one pat yourself on the back and be happy ! :cool:

Latest posts