Smokey amethyst

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is the stuff Thomas, part way between smokey and amethyst. Other amethyst from the same place for comparison. Richard (ktmman) also has a few bits that are a similar shade, shown in this thread here.

The area produces all main quartz varieties - clear, amethyst, smokey and citrine - and in a variety of shades. Would be great if only they weren't all so badly cracked.

"Regular" amethyst top photo for comparison.

15448996067_e4e5da5bb2_c.jpg

15589521478_42b8e7873c_c.jpg

I think you have have dug up some Ametrine - if citrine is also found in the area!

Amy and citrine are the same crystal just different temperatures.

This is my one.

1421027079_10734171_10152548370700369_2036643695388061571_n.jpg

Nice piece there jukebox.

The crystal in the photo is the same smokey purple colour all through. I have dug clear quartz, amethyst, smokey, citrine and a few bits of definate bi-coloured ametrine from the same locality.

I find plenty of citrine at Lowmead and a reasonable amount of it is a nice, bright orange.

And almost invariably a web of cracks :(

Did someone mention Citrine despite claims of rarity it often turns up in deeplead deposits maybe heated by lavas which buried many deepleads in the past.
1421055401_prettyvalley2_2.jpg

This crystal is 1050 carats I found on Minerama trip to Glen Innes looking for sapphires at Pretty Valley, its a dark orange with the bottom third a having a phantom of bubbles, plenty to cut though if I wanted too.
1421055748_pretty1_2.jpg

That is a stunning specimen, fossickeract! Though I generally favor cut stones over 'natural' ones, I would think that this particular one is worth more in its natural state, as a specimen. Because of the phantom and its gorgeous termination and its size. Cut citrine (natural or treated) can be acquired for very reasonable prices (it comes in heaps from Africa and Brazil), a natural crystal with phantoms and bubbles is much more rare and pricey. You'll have to find a buyer willing to pay of course, and buyers are generally looking for cut stones, but I'm not sure you'd want to part with such a delightful specimen. Unless you find a bigger one of course :)

(p.s. stop bloody biting those nails! They're short enough now!)

Latest posts