Small scale mining

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just having a read up higher and I understand round holes. :) :) :p
Person holes these days to be polite. LOL
Man hole covers are easy to drop a round lid in as it will not fall in no matter on how you place it.
Hence, Round Man Hole Covers.
Square holes,
Two problems.
The cover can fall in across the diagonals and, The concrete can fail on the corners.
Same reason why air craft windows have round corners, not square.
Just another pre amble to think about. :lol:

Hunting the yellow said:
on the topic of small scale mines has anyone bothered to rework any old mines from the 1860s under a current mining lease in victoria ?
Yep, got a good mate cracking away as we speak he's been at awhile now, from what I remember when he did his licensing it was quite easy and painless compared to what else i have heard been spoken about, one benefit for him is its on private property, so no crown land conditions!
Can't help you out with the ins and outs, but he's doing pretty well. ;)

dwt said:
Hunting the yellow said:
on the topic of small scale mines has anyone bothered to rework any old mines from the 1860s under a current mining lease in victoria ?
Yep, got a good mate cracking away as we speak he's been at awhile now, from what I remember when he did his licensing it was quite easy and painless compared to what else i have heard been spoken about, one benefit for him is its on private property, so no crown land conditions!
It's probably a stupid question dwt, but how does your mate get on regards obtaining personal insurance when it comes to doing an 'occupation' like that?

OK.
You work underground and have the pertaining training and documents to prove so.
Like you need a ticket to drive a forklift to a certain weight limit.
Construction White Card that you must have to enter a building site,
That sort of thing. :) :) :)

Tathradj said:
OK.
You work underground and have the pertaining training and documents to prove so.
Oh, Ok, sorry mate, never been somebody with a 'ticket' myself. But even so, with all the qualifications, can they get life /accident insurance when working for themselves on private property. I'm not trying to be smart mate, i'm really just interested in whether they'd be covered down a hole on public or private land if something turned sour.

Not sure about private/mining but, I am fairly parley about an excavation in NSW
You must gain permission before digging a foundation as it passes a certain depth.
Same applies for mining. And all of the applications like, OH&S, Depth, extent, why
who, what, when, there. Get the drift. ?? :lol: :lol:

You forgot the other applications like; Butcher, Baker, and candle stick maker.

Admin edit for spelling.

SCROUNGER said:
dwt said:
Hunting the yellow said:
It's probably a stupid question dwt, but how does your mate get on regards obtaining personal insurance when it comes to doing an 'occupation' like that?
Good question mate, I've never thought to ask him, I only assumed his insurance was like any other underground mine in Australia, I remember him whinging about public liability insurance and the costs but that's about it other than that I'm in the dark on this one, You don't really get tickets for underground like you do so for above ground, it's more so expierence or 'signed off' by the company your working for, I'm guessing that when you apply for your mining license you would include all of this from places you have worked to show the powers that be that you have the knowledge and expierence to pull it off, if you don't there are plenty of guys floating around that could help one out,
I never really spoke to my mate about the initial set licensing and leasing, but I do remember he went through a broker for all the hard stuff, made his life easy while he was still pulling levers on a jumbo underground. :)

ILikeGold said:
This shaft was originally dug around 1902, they got about 70t of ore out averaging 55g per ton. We are only averaging about 15gpt , hopefully it gets better. The reef is a quartz vein 6-10" wide, basically vertical.
G'day ILikeGold, mate could I ask how your taking 'cuts' or advancing in your drive, wether your drill and blast or jackhammer or other.... :)
How do you go with ventilation, I found that once I have gotten past 8-10 meters down a shaft my breathing alone whilst heavy digging was enough to start filling the small area with carbon dioxide, I remember this because after a couple of hours once a got a wicked headache, I raced off to a tool shop and purchased a small single phase vent fan that came with a 4meter Flexi vent bag, made life s##t loads more comfortable, are you at this stage mate or do you have a second shaft not far away and use natural flow,
All legitimate questions mate, not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but everyone dose things differently just wondering how you do it,
Cheers, dwt ;)

dwt said:
ILikeGold said:
This shaft was originally dug around 1902, they got about 70t of ore out averaging 55g per ton. We are only averaging about 15gpt , hopefully it gets better. The reef is a quartz vein 6-10" wide, basically vertical.
G'day ILikeGold, mate could I ask how your taking 'cuts' or advancing in your drive, wether your drill and blast or jackhammer or other.... :)
How do you go with ventilation, I found that once I have gotten past 8-10 meters down a shaft my breathing alone whilst heavy digging was enough to start filling the small area with carbon dioxide, I remember this because after a couple of hours once a got a wicked headache, I raced off to a tool shop and purchased a small single phase vent fan that came with a 4meter Flexi vent bag, made life s##t loads more comfortable, are you at this stage mate or do you have a second shaft not far away and use natural flow,
All legitimate questions mate, not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but everyone dose things differently just wondering how you do it,
Cheers, dwt ;)

Gday dwt,

Currently I use a variety of methods to get the ore out, and most arent real fun lol. Most of it is done with a cople of jackhammers, a big critter and a little one for when you get a bit tired. I also have a big ass hammer drill with a 32mm x 900mm bit this is good for straigtening up the sides and keeping the drive square. I also pour expanda in the holes when I can get a decent downward angle, this works really well but is a bit limited to the areas you can use it. Im looking at getting my shotfirers ticket shortly.
Ventilation is by one of those 300m extractor fans with ducting. I use it to suck the air from where we are working which also helps with the dust, we are getting enough air flow back in just by natural flow back into the shaft as we extract, but am also half way through sinking another shaft about 10m away to help as we go deeper.

ILikeGold said:
dwt said:
ILikeGold said:
Cheers, dwt ;)

Gday dwt,

Currently I use a variety of methods to get the ore out, and most arent real fun lol. Most of it is done with a cople of jackhammers, a big critter and a little one for when you get a bit tired. I also have a big ass hammer drill with a 32mm x 900mm bit this is good for straigtening up the sides and keeping the drive square. I also pour expanda in the holes when I can get a decent downward angle, this works really well but is a bit limited to the areas you can use it. Im looking at getting my shotfirers ticket shortly.
Ventilation is by one of those 300m extractor fans with ducting. I use it to suck the air from where we are working which also helps with the dust, we are getting enough air flow back in just by natural flow back into the shaft as we extract, but am also half way through sinking another shaft about 10m away to help as we go deeper.
:cool: mate, that 2nd shaft is a win win once it goes in, it makes life a lot easier for vent and secondary means of egress, once you have your black ticket try 'Jonnex's' Econotrim or Easycharge, I've used it before in puggy soft ground and sandstone bedrocks, firing your perimeter holes in one number with Econotrim in sandstone or softer bedrocks can save one from a lot of damage to the walls and backs that otherwise Anfo, Sanfo, 50/50, or power gel can do, over break can be massive and dilute the crap out of your ore if your not part facing, (in which case you would need to go to scraper and winch).
Best of luck to you mate, looking forward to more write ups and pics,
hopefully your Grams per tonne heads into the thousands ;)

Tathradj said:
OK.

confined spaces ticket and gas atmosphere testing tickets are around $ 500 for a two day course.

regardless of it being required as a condition of your lease or not , its not a bad thing to have for your own survival.

Latest posts