Small scale mining

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone here have any actual experience/useful info in regards to small scale mining?

I check this section often to see whats happening but nothing here is ever about small scale mining :|

So come on all you small scalers , post some stories of actual mining!

ILikeGold said:
I have several of my own mines, and work them fulltime for a living (several members here can confirm.

The idea of this thread was to hear some stories/experiences from other miners.

If you jokers dont have anything useful to add to this topic then please do not try to hijack it with useless posts.

im a miner as well just have to get the 5k plus 15k bond witch I don't have yet

Ok guys, fresh start this time, if you don't have anything useful to contribute to the topic at hand, please don't post.

ILikeGold, I'm sure if any other small scale operators had something to contribute to this section, then they would have already done so, though not all are going to be forthcoming regarding info on their operations.

Some info on your own mines would certainly help kick off this topic, hopefully others will contribute with some positive input as a result.

I'm off to bed. :)

This shaft was originally dug around 1902, they got about 70t of ore out averaging 55g per ton. We are only averaging about 15gpt , hopefully it gets better. The reef is a quartz vein 6-10" wide, basically vertical.

Building head frame

1447532707_building_head_frame.jpg

Air duct, power leads, safety ropes down through right hand hole, ore comes out the left. Plastic bucket just for show, steel one used.

1447533159_finished_head_frame.jpg

What depth are you working at & why the small round holes in the concrete cap rather than square or rectangle larger holes. Can you give abit more info on the winch on the headframe.

Its about 7-8m deep at the moment. No real genious design behind the round holes, its just what we had laying around. Winch is 240v electric, rated to 800kg, 18m wire cable.

shivan said:
Looks like a neat setup, how long would it take to dig 1 tonne of ore out?
Great to hear you are still doing well there.

About 10-12hrs to dig 1 ton of ore out, so not really profitable at 15gpt. I will come back to this one later when it cools down to see if I can find a richer section, or open cut it. Anything under 1oz per ton and I need to open cut to get the ore out quick enough to make a profit.

blisters said:
Have you drilled?
Jon

Yeh, the previous tenement holder drilled 8 holes to 33m deep. They basically just confirmed that its patchy with results varying from 10-40g per ton, water is at 30m.

I would love to do this for a hobby but have no clue what I'm doing hahah :D

I won't be saying where this is because the lease owner has told me not to due to idiots breaking in and going down it it was mined from 1940s for Smokey quartz crystals 2ftwide to but into radios for ww2 current mine depth is 40meters past mine depth was 65 several shafts connect to the main shaft underground and only has 2 levels the drive you see in the pic on the way down is the first level witch is about 20meters down

I have re-opened this topic upon request now that things have settled down. Feel free to add any constructive info or experiences, and please try to avoid any further conflict from here on in, cheers. :)

This thread needs cleaning right up if it is truly to get back on track. Either that or leave it locked or delete it altogether.
If the OP wanted he could then try to get it going again from a clean slate if Parks & friend can contain themselves.
Getting some insight from actual small scale miners operating on legally run mine leases would be great!

The topic has been reduced back to original photos and posts for continuation. Once again, this topic is for posting small scale mining operations, not an advice topic on how one should go about their business. If posters specifically ask for advice on their operation, then I see no issue with sensible and informative replies.

If the topic deteriorates again, it will be locked permanently.

Definitely do not lock please... One day i hope to get a small operation going and find this thread very informative. . Everyone has their own opinion on how to go about things just need to respect or show respect to other peoples thoughts tis all. :)

Tige

mods can you please edit my post my friend who owns that mine dose not want me to name the mine due to being on 4x4 maps of the area of his claim and pubic safety can you remove the name of the mine please thank you

Hunting the yellow said:
mods can you please edit my post my friend who owns that mine dose not want me to name the mine due to being on 4x4 maps of the area of his claim and pubic safety can you remove the name of the mine please thank you

I wouldn't stress to much it is common knowledge where it is, as it is one of the first places you come across when you search google for smoky quartz . but hey I also removed the location once I read that he doesn't want it mentioned.. good luck getting your post edited as it hasn't really worked for me in the past and you get left knee deep in it.. so to speak

Latest posts