Sluicy GS10 high banker question

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am wondering what mat or riffle system people are using in the GS10. I have a feeling the stock riffles aren't correct for places like Reedy creek.

I have made an 80cm extension for the GS10 with a copy of the same riffles with minors moss under both parts. Just doesn't seem to be working 100%. Might be that I am new and still learning but have noticed other brands have a different design.

What pump are you using? Maybe too much, too little water flow?
Did you do any test pans? maybe you were digging a crap area?
My GS 10 has captured flaky bits to flour gold with the supplied riffles and carpet.
So I think it works ok.
Maybe do a video and shoot from the side showing how the water goes over the riffles, and one of when a shovel of dirt goes in to see how it clears.
I was surprised to see how much water it actually needed to work properly the first time I used it.

Did test pans with 8-10 colours per pan. End of a few hours I only got a 50 colours maybe.

Using a 2.5hp 1.5 inch pump. The riffles take 3-5 seconds to process each shovel load and look like is shown on vids on youtube.

Will try and get out tomorrow and shoot a video of it in action.

Can only guess, check your tailings by catching all of the tailing on a tarp or in a big tub. If there is more gold than what you are catching reduce the flow & have a look at angle too. My phone inclinometer app lets me set 8 degrees for a start point on my sluice and I time a bucket fill to establish flow. I have just setup a new sluice this way and it gives a good start point but you can only do it if you can get accurate info regarding volume & angle. Goldhog and Goldrat provide the info. You only need to go through this a couple of times to become familiar with the new sluice. There are too many variables to say set half throttle. That processing speed sounds a bit quick, my mats take about 25 to 30 seconds to clear but there is significant variation between systems.
Good luck

Barry

Did you shovel only at the level you test panned? There may not have been much gold below the near surface.

EDIT: also when the carpet dries out give it a beating to shake the gold out. I roll it with the carpet on the inside and beat it with a piece if wood in a large washing tub.

Jon

I was doing test pans every 15-30 mins.

I run that grey minor moss like stuff from Clark rubber that's backed. Which they told me was no longer being sold at the stores.

Apparition said:
I was doing test pans every 15-30 mins.

I run that grey minor moss like stuff from Clark rubber that's backed. Which they told me was no longer being sold at the stores.

Dunno if it's true but someone told me the backed moss doesn't let the water flow well, the better option is the proper miners moss with the black v matting underneath. There is a fella in broadford vic that sells it on ebay, I'll upgrade myself before next trip.

I use the backed moss stuff from Bunnings in a GS10, well its actually a door mat but I find it works well & when checking tailings I have only ever found 1 or 2 tiny bits of gold.
It has the standard riffles & expanded mesh it comes with but made my own spraybar & run it off a 3700gph bilge pump. I find having a sluice angle of 10 degree works best for my set up.

You might be able to learn something by observing the size and shape of the gold it caught.

For instance, if it seems you have mostly larger bits or round bits getting caught, and you know (by testing) there is finer gold where your digging...obviously there is something wrong.
Could be too much water and the fine stuff doesn't get to settle out...or too much sluice angle which also could mean to much water speed....I'd think it might be more about the deposit where you were digging though...
Perhaps more testing to determine the wash layers and what golds found at different depths?
Hope this helps. ;)

ozziii said:
I use the backed moss stuff from Bunnings in a GS10, well its actually a door mat but I find it works well & when checking tailings I have only ever found 1 or 2 tiny bits of gold.
It has the standard riffles & expanded mesh it comes with but made my own spraybar & run it off a 3700gph bilge pump. I find having a sluice angle of 10 degree works best for my set up.
Hey Ozziii is that a 12v pump and if so how do you lug the battery around :eek:

xcvator said:
ozziii said:
Hey Ozziii is that a 12v pump and if so how do you lug the battery around :eek:

Yeah its a 12v bilge, the batteries I use are around 20kg each so I have a box trolley or fridge trolley or whatever they are called. Have a milk crate for the bottom tray part that the battery sits in & then a tub with pump/hose etc & the GS10 in top of the tub.

Latest posts