sluicing in adelaide???

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have checked the sa gov site about what tools are permitted to be used,
i dont see anything about sluice's non powered of course if anyone could shed some light on this it would be great
dont want get in trouble or give us weekend prospectors a bad name
cheers DH

A sluice is a non mechanised, static piece of equipment with no power or moving parts, so I don't see an issue with regards to SA Fossicking regulations. High bankers with pumps etc would be a different matter though.

Stupid thing is under the current fossicking regs here, anything you find belongs to the crown, and can only be kept in private collections, and not sold for profit. SA should have a Miners Right like in VIC, where the holder of the right has the ownership of any minerals found, transferred from the crown to the holder of the right, allowing them to do whatever they wish with the find (ie. sell for profit). All very backwards regarding the amateur prospector here. :rolleyes:

Any issues with royalties? In Tasmania, the way it's been explained to me, prospectors can sell gold they find, provided they pay royalties.

Same in SA if you operate a claim, application fees, annual rent fees, royalties on refined products 3.5%. There seems to be no inbetween system for amateur prospectors, you are either a fossicker or a explorer/miner.

Hi Goldpick,

do you think there is anyway we can change the SA regs. Has anyone ever tried?

To be honest they are most likely missing out on some revenue.

Miners rights fee and royalties. Not that there is a lot out there. not what I have found yet anyways.

Cliff

They probably don't need to have a miners right considering the limited public access to state forest areas with gold bearing ground, unlike in Vic. They like to lock up areas and limit public access to prospective ground around water catchments, or turn areas into historic reserves (Para wirra). Funny thing is that they allow panning once a year at Para Wirra reserve, but fossicking is banned from there all year round. Unfortunately, a lot of the good stuff currently resides on private property, you try your luck getting access, but a lot of people here are anti anything mining.

You could talk to your local parliment member, but without widespread support, I don't think they will budge on changing things.

water is big problem I read some where that sa has 6 times evaporation rate as rain fall so water catchment is very important :)

will call the mines dept today :| and find out if its legal or not, will inform you guys once i know
cheers DH
just got off the phone with mineral dept of s.a
it is permitted to use a sluice manually as long as your not in a water catchment area
yippee now what sluice to buy :D

What about a recirculating sluice? A sluice with a bilge pump and a bucket of water?
Cheers,,
Paul

A recirculating sluice would be great but i believe the bilge pump would count as mechanical equipment? I'm just assuming if it were legal there'd be people setting up these things all over the place including myself.

Goldpick said:
They probably don't need to have a miners right considering the limited public access to state forest areas with gold bearing ground, unlike in Vic. They like to lock up areas and limit public access to prospective ground around water catchments, or turn areas into historic reserves (Para wirra). Funny thing is that they allow panning once a year at Para Wirra reserve, but fossicking is banned from there all year round. Unfortunately, a lot of the good stuff currently resides on private property, you try your luck getting access, but a lot of people here are anti anything mining.

You could talk to your local parliment member, but without widespread support, I don't think they will budge on changing things.

Hey Goldpick,
When you say they allow panning once a year, can you give any more details? First I've heard of it. Guess I should google. Thanks all the same.

Can't remember where I saw it, but I believe it is like an annual open day run by the "Friends of Para Wirra". Another case of what would be a great detecting area, locked away for good! :/

Goldpick said:
Can't remember where I saw it, but I believe it is like an annual open day run by the "Friends of Para Wirra". Another case of what would be a great detecting area, locked away for good! :/

The good old nanny state strikes again!

Latest posts