Sluice Recommendations

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'Day Folks,

I'm interested in getting into a bit of sluicing with a mate. I've been mostly looking at the Sluicy range (Can't beat Aussie Made stuff). I'd nearly come to a decision between the GS21 https://www.cwpsupplies.com.au/product/gs21-sluice-box-sluicy-gold-prospecting-equipment/ and GS18 https://www.cwpsupplies.com.au/prod...sluice-box-sluicy-gold-prospecting-equipment/ when it occurred to me that, at times, I will probably have to a reasonable distance the lug the lot to get to a site. So adding in a pump, hose etc could make some of the larger highbankers quite an ordeal.

So my question really comes down to size & weight. Presumably the larger highbankers are better at retaining more gold, breaking up clay and cleaning rocks. Obviously the smaller ones are lighter. I understand that setup is a majority of the battle, but is there an optimum sluice length, whereby the gold retained from any additional length is minimal. Or is it just a matter of having to clean out the shorter runs more often?

Thanks in advance

I use a small GS10, added spray bar & changed matting, the sluice section is on 700 x 250mm, when I've put a tub or pan at the end & checked I've only ever found 1 or 2 tiny specs, I run it a little more level now & am lucky to get anything getting through that I can see.
1000mm would be just about right I think, well for me anyway, would still fit on the box trolley with electric pump, hose, 2x batteries, tub & tools.

G'day Transmission, All I could say is if you are a bit handy try and make something of your own which is smaller but more refined.

$408.00 is a lot of sheckles to fork out for something you have to then add a pump, hoses and fittings to. It also lacks a few important features such as Slick areas. They are also very bulky and good luck carting them through the bush with all your other gear.

Have a read of Jembaicumbene's posts and consider making a small high banker along his ideas. You can even make one of his Banjo's with materials as simple as a couple of short off cuts of 150mm storm water pipe and a bit of electrical cable tray and mesh.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14996
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3799&p=3
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15286

The Wallybanker mentioned in the above links has its merits but again it is very large and cumbersome and quite complex to make.

I'm in the exact same boat as you except opting on the gs17 aswell as the 18 and 21. Steering towards the 21 :D just because I think it would break up clay and wash material a bit better than the standard highbankers. My opinion anyway. The only downside to it is the need for a petrol pump where as if you went a bit smaller, carting a battery and bilge pump is easier. All depends where you plan on taking it and accessibility.

It all depends on how keen you are to find more secluded areas! :lol:

As stated earlier, $400+ is a lot to pay and you still need a pump, hose & fittings!! 8.(
There is a lot of advice on this site for building your own highbanker to whatever size suit your needs. I built my own all for a little over $80
3ft long sluice
2 1/2ft hopper
2 inch spray bars
Sluice has riffles, miners moss and v ribbed matting

I use an outdoor hand trolley and octy straps to carry everything I need and I have never had any issues.

Even with a mini highbanker you will still not have enough hands to cart everything at once, so you might as well buy/make a highbanker that will satisfy you and get yourself a sturdy hand trolley to lug it around :D

Or just highbank from locations in easy access areas ;)

Thanks guys.

Not fussed too much about the price, doesn't seem that unreasonable to me (Particularly if you compare the investment to an SDC in which I pick up the odd sub grammer amongst a sea of lead).

I might just make sure I can get it all onto a trolley and into the boot or backseat of a car. Gotta start somewhere and all the pumps & fittings can be re-used if I decide to get something for the more remote areas.

Very interesting reading about the slick areas.

So much to learn and take in.

Thanks again PA.

Alot to pay i forked out 5k with shipping for a keene 17720 8 ft by 20 inches wide bigger bankers will do a better job. The reason is black sand, more surface area for concentrate to build up on. Plus i can have 2-3 of us shoveling at the same time. Its capable of 3-4 cubes an hour. Check em out keene engineering.com They have a smaller unit called mini max super light weight and around 500 us. Comes with 2 bilge pumps and Hungarian rubber riffle. For super fine recovery.

If you are looking at an Australian made sluice...a word of caution...check out websites thoroughly... and if you find a brand...then google the makers...you might get a better deal than buying through an on-line store.

I just bought a small river sluice that was advertised as a particular brand and when it arrived in the mail it was another brand altogether (the received brand is quite good and has a good reputation and is approx. same dimension as the advertised unit).

The difference...if I went direct to the maker of the one I received.... I would have cost me $60 less and that sorty of money will by a pan or a classifier or something else.

Anyway..my problem though...old saying 'buyer beware etc' and I did not do enough research. New to this hobby and made the first of probably many mistakes.

Happy to Personal Message you TransMission if you want to know some details.
cheers

I reckon with the price of material, labor and such a unit between $300 to $400 would be a fair price to pay. Just my thoughts cheers Jemba

Wal suggests in the walbanker thread that you need about 1200 mm of processing length and it seems to be a good number. Folded or a straight run achieving that length should separate the gold.

Jembaicumbene's & ozziii gs10 suggestion is a good start, currently $210 on ebay. It will be difficult to diy for that amount and it is a good size. You can always play with the mating if you feel it necessary. You are the only one that has to be satisfied with the purchase, several others operate these, recover gold and may help with setup.

search here for hose, pump & fittings. consider 1.5 inch pump to future proof your purchase

Best of luck.

As I only run a bilge pump, the flow is there but not really enough pressure, need to use hands to help break it up.
If I ran a petrol pump for more pressure it would do it better.

Thanks for all the info. I've gone for the GS17, mid size highbanker. Will give it a bit of a run over the next few months (while there's water around) and see how I go.

I plan on doing a bit of panning this weekend to try and find a spot. Any ideas on a good place to start in Bendigo? Wellsford, Whipstick, Mandurang, Spring Gully, Golden Square?

Latest posts