New G14 River Sluice Box

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up this bad boy on special last week, from the legends at Central West Prospecting Supplies... https://www.cwpsupplies.com.au/product/g14-river-sluice-box-sluicy-gold-prospecting-equipment/

I took it for a test yesterday, only putting through approximately the equivalent of five pans of classified material. It seemed to go really well, the riffles seemed to be doing their thing ( hard to tell in the pic's), and some of the gold that came out after the clean up was micro indeed, so I guess that's a good sign.

My question is; how many 20L buckets of classified material could you put through it, before it would stop catching gold ie. gets to full?

20161012_083407.jpg

20161012_083533.jpg

20161012_101924.jpg

With one bloke digging and classifying, you could probably go all day, maybe towards the end of the day put a pan at the bottom catching what comes out and check it. Also do this at anytime to see if you are losing anything, you may be at the wrong angle or too little or too much water flow.

Occasional_panner said:
It's a bit hard to see from the pic, but it looks like you could use a tad more water coming in.

maybe a bit more angle, looks like a fair bit of water is available.
unless it's been moved when moving the sluice looks as though it needs levelling.
no expert just my basic assumptions.
Cheers T.

Occasional_panner said:
It's a bit hard to see from the pic, but it looks like you could use a tad more water coming in.

Yeah I think the flow in could have been better, but the riffles seemed to be working well, so I gave it a go as it was. Will try a bit more next time as suggested.
Am I right in thinking about an inch per foot of fall with the creek flowing at that speed?

Teemore said:
Occasional_panner said:

maybe a bit more angle, looks like a fair bit of water is available.
unless it's been moved when moving the sluice looks as though it needs levelling.
no expert just my basic assumptions.
Cheers T.

I was feeding it a bit dominant to one side, so I think that's why it looked like that at the finish. Will definitely fine tune the set up next time

casper said:
"bad boy" :/

I see a sluice

"bad boy"

noun

generic term for a specific object; "thing".

eg.... Hey buddy, can you hand me one of those bad boys over there?

I know it sounds fussy, but put a spirit level sideways to make sure it's level side to side, then adjust the flow and angle so it clears well, different material will need different tweaking with angles etc.

isolation said:
aussiefarmer said:
30 to 50 if ya flow is cleaning the junk out

Do you mean 30 to 50L of material?

Here's a link that should give you an idea of good flow rate..... Dream Mat sluice, in this instance NO pre classifying was necessary, shovel loads straight into the sluice, possible because of the nature of the material (no solid lump of clay which would require a high banker to break down).
The water was a bit dirty to clearly how the material moves.
Cheers T.

https://www.facebook.com/Highbankers/videos/pcb.731380437009909/731379773676642/?type=3&theater

Thanks for the input guys... The spirit level is in the bag now, and I'll try a few variations with flow when I give it another run tomorrow :D

If the black sand has filled up level behind the rifles...its time for a clean up. ....that could be after 2or 3..x.20 ltr buckets ....or it could be 20x ...20 ltr buckets....depends on how concentrated the black sand is in your area... :D

isolation said:
aussiefarmer said:
30 to 50 if ya flow is cleaning the junk out

Do you mean 30 to 50L of material?

30 to 50 20 liter buckets , if you have enough flow to clean the blonde sand out . my rough guide to flow is increase it until there is a nice dead spot behind / just after the riffle . after doing a bucket or so place your finger or a stone on top of the riffle which will clear the water from behind it briefly and you should see sand hopefully black sand that was trapped in the dead zone be released .

and the 5 minutes or so that it takes you to get the next bucket full will give your sluice time to clear some of the light material . every situation is different with flow and material type ,more heavies black sand etc the quicker your matt will fill.

Looks like not enough slope. Assuming you had let the sluice clear you shouldn't have that much light material above the first riffle and the mesh looks packed at the end so there is not enough water velocity to keep clearing the mesh and to push the material through. Water velocity will create the vortex required to fluidise the material in the mesh and behind the riffle. Look for the mesh clearing reasonably quickly, you might get an initial build up on the immediate riffle upside but this should dissipate reasonably quickly. The water level is hard to tell but looks a bit on the light side but ultimately it should clear the mesh and roll the larger stones. If you increase the slope you will in turn need more water but just enough to do the job. Stick your finger into the material behind the riffle when running it should not be packed and you should see the little stones dancing in the mesh, the heavies would have already sunk to the mat.
Jon

Latest posts