Show us your Isolation Projects

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RM Outback said:
OldGT said:

Ah why is that fire place placed in door aperture :8 I'm sure you blokes have worked hard to get to where you are but the fire place is a complete disaster and waste of time and effort imo. All good though I'm absolutely certain the last tenant installed it and not you blokes all you need to is move/scrap it and patch the ceiling :) :beer:

10 points to you mate.

I voted for it to stay where it was but mates Mrs got involved (Shrugs).

Moral of the story, dont argue with someone who thinks their right.

Same for dark woodwork on light walls, and dark doors. Total PITA and will show marks and dust up like you wouldnt believe, but as is regular on a reno, theyve watched the reno shows and gone into the display homes and wont budge.

Any way Im not trying to bag out on people, just be nice if when I give advice it was taken on board.

And I will never install another IKEA product (let alone kitchen) in my life, I dont care if it seems like good value, the fitting and cheapness of their products is insane. Stove, benchtops, cupboards, dishwasher, all a pile of :poop:

Dihusky said:
OldGT said:
Getting there now.

Can anyone spot the mistake in this pic?

Plus the stack should be shielded.

I hope who ever lives in that place doesn't have kids as without shielding, that is a horrendous accident waiting to happen.

Not sure how things work in Oz, but over here, if that's a rental property, in the event of such an accident, the landlord would held liable both in the civil and criminal courts, plus also the person or company fitting it...

Pete E said:
Dihusky said:
OldGT said:
Getting there now.

I hope who ever lives in that place doesn't have kids as without shielding, that is a horrendous accident waiting to happen.

Not sure how things work in Oz, but over here, if that's a rental property, in the event of such an accident, the landlord would held liable both in the civil and criminal courts, plus also the person or company fitting it...

I do appreciate all your input, and concern. The plumber who came Thursday knocked it on the head immediately and a new split system will be installed next week and the heater being installed on my trailer. :present:

OldGT said:
Pete E said:
Dihusky said:
OldGT said:
Getting there now.

I do appreciate all your input, and concern. The plumber who came Thursday knocked it on the head immediately and a new split system will be installed next week and the heater being installed on my trailer. :present:

In principal OldGT there is nothing wrong with these heaters provided they are installed correctly with all the right safety precautions.

I built one for our old farmhouse, weighed over 100kg and took some serious sized logs. I reinforced the floor under and sheilded the floor with a layer of stone and 15mm cement sheet, similar behind the heater on the wall, compliant flue and good, secure safety shielding. The old house was wonderfully warm through winter enhanced by the surrounding thermal mass holding and radiating heat through the 'wee hours' :)

Hi Folks, Been quite a while since i've been on PA, but have checked in every now and the to see what everyone have been up to. Like most, being stuck at home has seen quite a few job done about the place but found a bit of time to drag out the fly tying gear and tie up a few Cod ( the Murray variety) flies. Lets hope we can all get out and about as soon as it's safe to and have some outdoor fun.
Cheers, SinHof.
1589605572_cod_fly_01a.jpg

1589605611_cod_fly_02a.jpg

Nice Wishful, I had some of them but have been wondering lately where they have gone as I haven't seen them for a few years now. They used several of those Irons at a time one being used, swap for next one on wood stove and so on my old Gran showed me once using 3 at a time and they are the ones now missing. blame my sons I suppose they did play with them when young. Just had another look at yours recon they put hot coals in that type, other grandparents had some like that. Think they had to be careful of burning holes in the Ironing.

Gday all,
Ive been MIA on here for a few months now, mainly tied up with family stuff, but I have been checking in lately and came upon this interesting post and decided to share my isolation project.... in fact the whole Covid situation has helped speed up the job.
I sold our offroad van in January and decided to build a capable camper trailer to get me to those more challenging spots and to still have a degree of comfort.
So it began with a bare bones h/d 7x4 trailer which I modded to take my 270 awning and a well known brand of rooftop tent. After decking, sealing and lining the tub with marine carpet, I mounted the rtt direct to the trailer top.
I then ordered and fitted a huge custom ally front toolbox and custom 80l. water tank and pump.
The slide out kitchen and storage drawers are from Drifta.... the best made and thought out kit there is for campers.
The electrics is taken care of by a 120 A/H lithium battery controlled by dcdc and solar regulator, all mounted in front box.
Anyway, Ill let these pics show you my idea of how a (car) rooftop tent can be adapted for much lower, ie, easier access for us not so spring chickens,
Cheers, and stay safe. :power:
1589795108_77627a8c-603e-4751-adff-59240c93008d.jpg
1589795171_86031297-1486-4227-8ad2-2063dcd12951.jpg

1589795245_9e1364eb-c9d2-4bc4-8c8e-ddc7cbab546e.jpg

1589795317_7d7b6597-e031-4e16-bc2d-3762f514ee4e.jpg

1589795386_dc3056f5-20aa-4b7a-bc2f-eb6b1c37e065.jpg

1589795488_5a6eddc7-d9de-49d7-8ad7-1f005392882a.jpg

1589795595_4e9dda85-21fb-43dc-97df-512f605cbc63.jpg

Hoping to give it a good test run over to visit you Mexicans when the borders are finally open :beer:

G'day Adrian great to see you back :beer: very nice job with the camper :perfect: I'm sure I will enjoy checking it out when we next catch up.

AtomRat said:
Gday jethro, hope all has been well.

Still onto the e-waste here. Hours of component sorting and stripping has been occupying me over isolation. Managed to process a sample of black sand cons in acids for gold recovery a couple months back. Suprisingly, some mineral rock (cassiterite mostly) remained and did not affect / cement out random metals. Lack of sulfides in my cons probably made it easier/cleaner. Ore processing is too large scale and messy for the ol home prospector..
Also refined some alluvial gold along the way

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3111/1586391389_20200409_101248.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3111/1586392130_20200409_102620.jpg

One day I will have to learn to extract gold from electronics. I have boxes and boxes of old computer parts, etc. :money:

Isolation? Not bored at all. In fact, I'm exhausted! Still working and raising kids, while trying to get all the projects wrapped up. No end in sight yet.

After I got the shed up, mostly alone because of the lockdown, I started to move everything in and erect structures, benches, stud walls and Dexion racking systems in for all my storage solutions. Once it's all in and insulated, sheeted and electricity wired in, I will be demolishing the shed at the other end of the house, behind the last bit of the Viper.

a8Nr3Gd.jpg

Yesterday, I worked with the concreter to finish the last bit of cement out the front of the hangar.

xSBOjPO.jpg

yHeeM6v.jpg

Once it's set in a couple of days, I'll push the 1:1 Viper around from the other end of the house, then I can start building two more rooms where it sits.

sNcbE3S.jpg

In the move I had dropped my lathe off the bench and onto the concrete, damaging it quite a bit, so I have been madly repairing it. came close to breaking my leg. While I was at it, I made some stands fro my grinders to take care of my sharpening wheels and buffing/cleaning wheels.

YEw9v4c.jpg

RT6PCne.jpg

iMBQyQm.jpg

Every couple of days I have to forge out some more prospectors tools as I am selling them like crazy.

50fJnRa.jpg

4IxwGjg.jpg

In the quiet hours around midnight I work on little fun projects made out of scraps from the workshop floor and bin.

7T0Nhtl.jpg

Sj7NtGs.jpg

When they let us out, I will get out in the creeks in the goldfields and do some panning, a much needed mental health break for Baz.

tolcW4H.jpg

TE5wN1i.jpg

0rBDJQo.jpg

73T7zM2.jpg

You certainly know how to keep yourself busy Baz.I bet you cant wait to get out and find some more of that awesome gold like in that 2nd last photo_Oh yeah,love the sticker on the grinder. :lol:

making a new gauge pod set (top of dash) for my Pajero.
The factory modular set has an inclinometer which is as good as useless in WA & the type of driving I do, & I reckon the old oil pressure gauge & voltmeter were a bit inaccurate, so I got some aluminium plate & made a new mount for an Autotechnika & SAAS gauges to go into the pod.
This setup has an oil pressure guage, oil temp gauge, & twin voltmeter, with a switch to simply turn the Aux Volts on/off so it doesnt add drain when not required while camped (theres another voltmeter in the rear at the battery).
Ive also incorporated the tiny LED light next to the switch that shows when the Aux battery is on-charge via the DC-DC charger.

cant upload a pic at the moment
stay tuned folks

Harbourmaster said:
Nice Wishful, I had some of them but have been wondering lately where they have gone as I haven't seen them for a few years now. They used several of those Irons at a time one being used, swap for next one on wood stove and so on my old Gran showed me once using 3 at a time and they are the ones now missing. blame my sons I suppose they did play with them when young. Just had another look at yours recon they put hot coals in that type, other grandparents had some like that. Think they had to be careful of burning holes in the Ironing.
Gday mate. Do you know if those irons had a leather wrapping on the handle that was stitched ? The handle stuff was so brittle it just fell to bits. Not really sure what it was.

Latest posts