Shoalhaven/illawarra

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Very new to fossicking

I have been checking out a few of the creeks In local state forests with no luck. Yerriyong,currambene, Nowra, Shoalhaven. Meryla. (All state forests approved fossicking sites)

Has any one had any luck at these places? Been seeing some black sands and iron stone.

Also I have only been fossicking on state forests covered in my permit. I read a lot of people fossick near yalwal and Shoalhaven river where and how is this legal ?

From What I have read only state forests are legal am I missing something ?

Thanks for all the help !

Check, and keep it legal. I have found good coarse gold in some of the areas you mention - coarse gold seems quite a feature of the area with lots in the grams range (damned if I will say more than that). All found legally - it just is not necessary to prospect in no go areas. Persevere, and if possible teach yourself as much as possible about where gold occurs - you can cut where you have to detect by far more than 90%.

Gday Davio

That district was where I first started prospecting not long ago. Ive moved since and now Im like you in a new area trying to figure it out. My research didnt show anything in Nowra itself, but there are other places close to it as you mentioned Yalwal being one of them. The legal side of things youll have to do the ring around and find out- National parks, waterboard, etc..... sixmaps might help you with boundaries. Ask questions to people in the know.
Its rugged and some is pretty inaccessible so as Goldierocks mentioned do your research- mining history, geology and access. Otherwise you could spend a decade and find little. Come up with some plausible theories and keep evolving them.
Theres gold associated with granitic/diorite intrusions through a lot of country southwest of Nowra. I personally did ok on the Shoalhaven river, and the Braidwood goldfields.
Theres some interesting old mines to look through in Yalwal if your careful!
Best of luck!

Yalwal is now so overgrown that it is quite dangerous. The scrub is now so thick that possibly wouldn't see a hole till you stepped into it.
According to Minview it is still legal to fossick in the original area around Yalwal and even down Yarramunmun Creek.

Latest posts