Shingles!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the best on your recovery Reefer. My wife got it nearly 12 weeks ago after I fell over 3 metres onto cobblestones from a ladder. Still having to cope with nerve pain

Hey bigdog where did you source the mixture and is it just rubbed on, thanks mate.
Jim :Y:

I had Shingles in my early 30s, not had a relapse since.

Yes the jab is free for over 70s, but over $200 if younger.

The other thing you need to be aware of and consider - Unlike Flu jabs and other vaccines, the Shingles vaccine is a "live" vaccine.

I'm 70, have some underlying health and immune system considerations. I will not be having it. :)

My wife has MS and has been advised by her Neurologist to not have it.

Hi Reynard not all but most health food stores sell it or they can make it up for you about $14 for a jar might have ring them to find witch one has it. I got mine on the gold coast you just rub it on very gently or dob it on. It worked for my wife she had a severe case of shingles.

condor22 said:
I had Shingles in my early 30s, not had a relapse since.

Yes the jab is free for over 70s, but over $200 if younger.

The other thing you need to be aware of and consider - Unlike Flu jabs and other vaccines, the Shingles vaccine is a "live" vaccine.

I'm 70, have some underlying health and immune system considerations. I will not be having it. :)

My wife has MS and has been advised by her Neurologist to not have it.

Full details are:

"The National Immunisation Program (NIP) provides a free shingles vaccine, Zostavax at 70 years of age (from November 2016). There is also a free catch-up program for 71 to 79 year olds until the end of 2021. The Zostavax vaccine is available on prescription for people aged 50 to 69 years and from 80 years but it must be paid for by the patient. Zostavax vaccine contains live attenuated varicella-zoster virus, containing 14 times more virus than childhood varicella vaccines and is contraindicated in immunocompromised people. Zostavax vaccine should not to be used in people with compromised immune function due to the risk of disseminated disease from the vaccine virus. Vaccination is still recommended for people who have had shingles infection in the past. It is recommended to wait at least a year after recovery".

Thanks heaps bigdog she has had to endure a lot of pain in the last 41/2 years we are willing to try anything , apart from the doctors drugs.
If this works we owe you both lunch.thanks again i will let you know.
Jim :perfect: :Y:

Hope it works for your wife we also found out that caffeine, sugar, alcohol made the shingles go nuts. Also cold packs and a chair support from office works Kensington 52781 KTG MESH BACK SUPPORT about $15.00 it will let cooler air on the back when sitting in a chair heat will set the shingles off. Hope this works for your wife my wife had it for 2 years she had leukaemia 10 years before so couldn't get a shot for shingles.

We have both had theshingles shots, she had to wait 12 months after the initial infection. She no longer has shingles but still suffers from the nerve pain it left behind.
Thanksfor your help we will try it. How is your wife's leukemia progressingjim

She has been in remission for 10 years now gets a blood test every 6 months so far so good :Y:

Stress of an operation i suspect brought my shingles on as a 20yr old i just thought i had pulled a muscle on my left arm as it was effecting chest and back. Girlfriend suggested deep heat and i was soon running around like a dog with firecrackers tied to it's tail :awful: .
A great dose of the right antibiotics and within 10 days it's just a painful memory now but the dr. explained if i didn't take them promptly and the full course i would be in all sorts of trouble down the track.

I had shingles a few yrs ago now and it took around 12 months to get rid of it, the worst illness by far I have ever had

Had shingles a few years back. Lasted approx 12 months. In my right arm. Felt like it was on fire. Worst pain ever, skin was red and blistered.
The pain is nerve pain and is difficult to control. I never did find anything that would lessen it. Symptoms subsided gradually and after about 12 months I had a shingles shot. I still get a localised burning sensation in my right arm now and again.

Latest posts