Shark tooth fossil

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1521801036_20180323_150038.jpg

I found a black shark tooth this week amongst the shells and stones washed up on the beach. I read that these are fossils but what good condition this was it

That's a neat find :Y: It is actually a fossil, not something recently out of the mouth of a shark? It does look sort of stony.

Maybe there's a fossilised jawfull of em out there just waiting for the next big stormy swell to wash em in. Could only be out to so far in depth because.... wave action depth decreases by the height from trough to tip of wave--- beneath the wave then-- that measurement halves---then halves again add infinitum. So the wave action/turbulence on the bottom is only possible out to the depth of somewhere in the order of twice the depth of the highest waves below that waves trough.... under that it is calm except for current movement of water. Just some trivia I can't get out of my head lol. :D You just never know where knowing something could have a usefullness in the future till you get there.
edit in photo info
1521840531_2018-03-24-07-24-04--1308689722.jpg
1521840549_wave-motion-and-depth.jpg

A lot of the Shark teeth Fossils are found in very good condition. Most turn Black with time.. and that one is a very fine example...Well done... Have a google on sharks teeth and you might identify which shark it came from... :Y:

If anyone is going to buy a Fossil, just be careful as 'Fake Fossils' are very common out there now... :rolleyes:
1521859898_ft6pg16i5bs2yx6_large.jpg

LW....

Plenty of erosion about atm. I think it was a pure fluke. Yet to find snother. But i am keeping my open more so now. It looks like a bullshark tooth, hammerhead tooth or tiger shark tooth.
Interesting diagram silver... a big filtering system imo