Jervis Bay Fossils

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I stumbled across fossils galore yesterday walking the beach at Jervis Bay. With all the wild weather of late the sea cliff had eroded and new rocks have been exposed which are full of fossils. Here are some of the photos that I took, I think it’s mostly seaweed and shell fossils but there are a few I’m really not sure about. One rock still had the shell inside which had fossilised into stone. I also found some peacock ore. F46090E7-5AF5-4B1C-BA37-AF43E28894CA.png C9EAFEBF-E2AF-4BF7-9727-DD099DFD8428.jpeg

4e7919bb-12d5-4242-b709-181325c26f0d-jpeg.3321

D8C18D79-015D-46D9-97B6-51B417BE3C9C.jpeg
I have so many more photos and videos of them but I’ll resist spamming everyone. Happy hunting!

Attachments

• 4E7919BB-12D5-4242-B709-181325C26F0D.jpeg
    4E7919BB-12D5-4242-B709-181325C26F0D.jpeg
    9.4 MB · Views: 91
  • 5841CEEC-2D10-4292-8B18-85112837D242.jpeg
    5841CEEC-2D10-4292-8B18-85112837D242.jpeg
    8.6 MB · Views: 1
Oh that is such great info that link thanks for sharing.
This is my first time really thinking about fossils, does anyone know what the ‘Ma’ refers to when talking about the fossils being dated from ~270Ma? Does that mean these are millions of years old?
"Ma" is the scientific abbreviation of the Latin phrase mega annum, which means 'million years'. Yes, that does mean these fossils are actually 270 million years old!

There is a Quarry at Tomerong that has been closed due to doing naughty things. When it was operational it sold that type of "rock", it is locally called mud stone when the area was all under sea water, we have some on our driveway and I have noticed shells and other marine items in bits that seem to show up from time to time. It is a soft sort of rock that breaks down to a dust with traffic, but seems to rather hard to dig into after a few years of use on the driveway. The local council has used at as a road base for many years and also used as a surface on dirt roads (not many left now). When I was working in Nowra at a High school we had a few deliveries of this and it was spread around the playground and after a few months had set like bitumen. When we had our bore dug it was located about 5 meters from the surface and continued down until they stopped at about 20 meters deep. I think most of the rocks at Huskisson beach area are this type of rock.

Last edited:
Lots of Bryozoans there and brachiopods (in your photos) - the latter look like Spiriferids

There is a Quarry at Tomerong that has been closed due to doing naughty things. When it was operational it sold that type of "rock", it is locally called mud stone when the area was all under sea water, we have some on our driveway and I have noticed shells and other marine items in bits that seem to show up from time to time. It is a soft sort of rock that breaks down to a dust with traffic, but seems to rather hard to dig into after a few years of use on the driveway. The local council has used at as a road base for many years and also used as a surface on dirt roads (not many left now). When I was working in Nowra at a High school we had a few deliveries of this and it was spread around the playground and after a few months had set like bitumen. When we had our bore dug it was located about 5 meters from the surface and continued down until they stopped at about 20 meters deep. I think most of the rocks at Huskisson beach area are this type of rock.
Wow how interesting, thank you! So fortunate to have this in your backyard

We love photos here, please post more. :)
I’ve made them into a Reel on Instagram but wow the sharability of it is so limited. If anyone gets curious feel free to go have a spy @my.wilder.self

Walking into the tubes many years ago, I found a rock half way down, that looked out of place. Picked it up, and immediately recognised it as a crab, about the same size and shape as a big mud crab! I left it where it was to pick up on the way out, but never found it again!

Latest posts