Sh(t happens...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How heart-breaking Simmo šŸ˜¢.Looking at those pics though I'm glad you and the family weren't there to try and fight that inferno. The family is safe and loss of life in that scenario would have been so devastating. You can replace everything there but you can't replace losing family.

I replied to a mate of mine on Facebook who said fires only burn up hill..
Thought you guys might like to see my response??
Mines Dept have been out and had a look.. meeting next week....

Bud, we've been out there for a long time now.
I have seen fires burn against the wind!
We had one fire one year, started up on the ridge or maybe over the back behind us, we don't know??
The fire came down the hill, against the prevailing breeze towards us!
The good thing about that fire was that conditions kept it low and slow, so we could control it, because we were on site.
We had guests on camp that night that had never experienced the threat of a fire line before, we all did awesome with fire bats and rakes and saved the day!!

Sad part for us in this case is that we haven't been up there for a while, so surface fuel would have grown.

An illegally lit fire (no QFES permit obtained) in an area that a poacher wants to detect for gold, is generally not put out once the required section is burnt, but left to burn and continue on to numerous uncontrolled area's and places where equipment and machinery could be located.
The illegal poachers/arsonists have never cared nor been held accountable for their actions.

I don't know who lit this fire that destroyed our dreams, now, it has been forced into the faces of the governing bodies to finally stand up and do something about the illegal activity in the region and stern action is required now and moving forth.

At great cost to my family and that of a few others, hopefully with action on the ground and in the air the Authorities should be able to enforce massive fines for illegal poaching and even bigger fines or jail for lighting illegal fires.

Latest posts